S4 B6, my midlife… project

danrc

Reaction score
I hope to use this thread as a bit of a digital history / journey log for this project so hope posting it here is ok?

After searching for a while I found, what looked to me as a fairly decent and well maintained S4 convertible, sourced on Auto Trader. Private seller, 67k, cleandecent amounts of history and just about everything worked as it should, plus it has a good spec to from what I have seen (Cruise control, electric memory seats, cooler in the glove box, heated seats , sat nav, Bose…)

Anyway I went to pick it up from South Croydon and took a nice trip back to Market Harborough last Friday and I arrived home happy.

Over the weekend took it for a run across to the coast with the family which was enjoyed but having a Mercedes Diesel and being used to travelling great distances on very little, it did open my eyes how “different” it compares in the fuel economy section.

So it’s home and now and with a few days off I can set about understanding what it needs and when.
3B9C75CE 4D7E 4976 B8F3 1D1A2871B79A

As most enthusiasts do, the pre order of bits from Amazon, eBay ect started prior to getting the car but I wanted to see if mechanically it indeed was going to worth the efforts.

So given I had seen many of the YouTube videos posted by VAG Technic and how this had helped guide me in the purchase of the right car, a trip over to see them was the order of the day.

72C7456D AF2B 43C3 A6CA F7B1A126D19F

The trip was worth it as I had picked up a few bits on the test drive and a few more bits when I got it home, but nothing that was to alarming. So meeting up and talking with someone who is very honest and knows there way around these was reassuring and we did spot a few bits but nothing that was not going to bring “domestic difficulties” for me. And scanning the car revealed nothing waiting in the shadows (yet) and it got a clean bill of health.

I know at some point that the car will need big works, but for now we are ok.
first mechanical jobs will be rocker gasket and wheel bearing and oil change.

There are a few bits I have already sorted out on the car which I won’t go into detail on but so far my first area that I have hit a snags on relate to the RNS. The Sat nav is not able to see the GPS unit and getting Bluetooth music to stream ( fitted the adapter/module) is, I think going to need someone locally who has VCDS and understands these better than me.

Anyway thanks for reading and will post more up bits as I go along.

Welcome mate. Had my 03 B6 S4 for about 4 years now. I won’t tell you what she cost me. U will get scared haha (you can read my posts if you wish).

They are a lovely car tho. Mine drives me mad sometimes but I love her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: danrc
Ok so find sometime to fix up a few bits on the car over the jubilee break.

I found locally a set of straight Le Mans 19” wheels and gave them a DIY refurbishment and added some used branded tyres (235/35/19). Will drop a photo shortly.

Also changed the GPS unit in the boot for a eBay number and it all works as it should. Updated the rnse with maps disc (again from eBay) and now that part is all good. On the list of things to do is to get the RNSE coded for AUX so that i can stream music.

So one thing I have noticed since changing the wheels is that the overall handling is noticeably poorer than it was before. The ride height is just to high and subsequently when taking sharp corners slowly it feels “loose” or unstable.

so doing a bit of digging around on the net and also following a good look under the car with the wheels off I have come to the conclusion it needs lowering , along with a few steering/suspension bushes changing, adding some wheel spacers and while I’m at it doing one of the front wheel bearings.

Now I’m not looking to spend out mega money on suspension as I won’t be using the car for any demanding driving, nor will it be clocking up big mileage, but I’m looking to try and retain some levels of comfort and be able to load the car up with family and luggage for the odd road trip along with lowering it to just below stock height. whilst I’m writing that bit I think I might have answered my own question…. Coilovers.

This is where I might need some help and thoughts from the good people on the forum….

62B0F803 7896 4B9D BAF6 A247361CF4E8

Does not look so bad (high) here but that because it’s on a bit of a slope.
One last thing I did not mention above, I removed the rear back boxes and swapped them for straight pipes. Sounds amazing when opened up but could be a little much for nipping about the town. Will see how I feel in a few weeks‍♂️

It would undoubtedly look better a little lower but it’s not terrible!

If you don’t want to spend mega money you might be better sticking to a set of springs. Good springs over cheap coilovers any day!

I’ve heard a some good reviews of AP coilovers which are around the £600 mark but I wouldn’t go any cheaper than that. You’re talking £1k+ for the decent stuff, BC, Eibach, KW, Bilstein, H&R etc.

Reactions: danrc