Slow WiFi Speeds

BH1983

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently bought a 2017 A3 Saloon and it has a SIM slot so wanted to create a wifi hotspot in the car that the kids could connect their ipads too. I bought a SIM card, activated it and set it up, but the speeds are awful.

I'm using an O2 sim which is both 4G and 5G compatible, but when I use it in the car I only get around 4-6mbps. However, if I remove the sim card and put it into my phone I can get around 40mbps. Does anyone have any idea why the speed when the sim card is in the car would be so bad? I've tried different locations thinking I might just have been in a poor signal area but it's been the same no matter where I've tried it, awful speeds when the sim is in the car, but fast when it's in my phone.

Implies an issue with the modem in the car, either fault but most likely suspect the modem just isn’t fast enough to support higher speeds. There ‘were’ some thread talking about the support bands and chipsets used in the 3/4G modules being used, but they didn’t divulge more than cursory information.

The technies here may pipe up and provide some info about their experiences using data in the car

Personally I’d hotspot from the phone (got one that‘s relatively modern and can handle multiple clients)

This assumes you have unlimited data to be able to do said hotspotting