Speed camera detectors

I

imported_fobber

I'm about to pick up the new beast, but i'm thinking of getting a speed camera detector to give me a slightly better chance of avoiding points of my license.

I have heard that Roadpilot and Roadangel are the two top contenders.

Anyone tried them?

The road angel is brilliant, I had the original and updated to the road angel 2 as soon as I spotted it.

But then again I may be a bit biased... If you want a road angel 2 I can do them for £310 including next day insured delivery - they are supplied from an authorised dealer and come with a VAT receipt. (sorry for the self promoting!)

J.

If you've got a PDA get yourself TomTom3. Many free plugins available which do the same job as Road Angel (i.e. GPS based camera warnings) plus you'll get a navigation system as a nice by-product. Nice advantage that it's fully customisable. I've currently got a nice wav from the wife which shouts "slow down" when I breach my safety speed (99mph) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

origin b2 is very good, but harder to install than the others, and you need extra kit if you want to plug it into a 2nd car easily.

There are talks about making these devices illegal, so if i were buying one today i'd go down the PDA route, then if you get stopped by the police, it would have to be a pretty savvy PC to work out if your PDA had the speed camera add-on installed, if you had a road-angel or B2 sat on your dash it would be a bit trickerier to avoid fines/points

Has anyone used the RoadPilot?

I know someone who might be able to get one cheap for me and wondered what it was like?

Eeef - can you run that past me again please? I like the idea of combining a navigation system with a gps camera detector - have no pda, but would fork out, if i could find such a system - what exactly would i need to buy - speak slowly, i'm old and dim... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

for a decent PDA but on a budget have a look at the Dell Axim range. They do a bundle pack of PDA, GPS and TomTom software for reasonable money.

Basically if you have a PDA, GPS receiver and the TomTom software you can add POI (points of interest) these are available free n the web to download. One of them is the position of the Fixed Speed camera's in the UK. My fouvrite is the Maccy D's one... So you'd actually get a Sat Nav system and a Camera detector rolled into one.

J.

I've got the Micro Road Pilot, with Radar and Laser, very stealthy install, Radar and Laser detectors go behind grill, and tiny display sits next to A Pillar, good unit, very easy to install and update via the internet, only thing I don't like is the noise it makes, sort of a puny chirping bird.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

So Gezzer, how is that setup working for you? Effective? Reliable detection? And does it detect laser when a car ahead is being "tagged"? TIA

I have Tom Tom go with the camera sites loaded but its not so good for updates and mobile sites not so accurate. Prefer to use a Road Angel for best coverage.

Don't forget you can update the POI's yourself on the TomTom software if you spot a camera thats not listed! Only takes about 10secs..

The problem with PDA based camera detection is that they can't give you the average speed warning on SPEC's cameras that a dedicated device produce. Remember SPEC's camera's are the future, you can't see them, they monitor average speed between 2 or more points, they OCR your no. plate and issue a ticket automatically. They're predominantly on motorways (M6 currently & upper thames street in London)) where most people will safely speed oblivious to the fact that they could accumulate 12 points in one journey doing 85mph on an empty motorway. No flash so you've no idea you've been done. No film so they are always live.
The RA2 warns you of the camera, then bleeps every 10sec while you are being monitored and also shows you your average speed while being monitored. PDA systems can only warn you of the camera, which is ok as long as you are confident you can stay under the limit until you are out of range.
I would also have a problem relying on a freebie database for licence saving info. It's really only a good choice if you already have a PDA/SatNav setup in the car.
As Steeeve already stated they can't ban RA or similar as they would then have to ban all GPS based systems including SatNav.

[ QUOTE ]
marriedblonde said:
The road angel is brilliant, I had the original and updated to the road angel 2 as soon as I spotted it.
J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree totally that the RA is great. Am puzzled why you changed from the original to the RA2 though. Surely they do the same job, it's only the packaging that's changed. Why spend the money all over again?

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with PDA based camera detection is that they can't give you the average speed warning on SPEC's cameras that a dedicated device produce. Remember SPEC's camera's are the future, you can't see them, they monitor average speed between 2 or more points, they OCR your no. plate and issue a ticket automatically. They're predominantly on motorways (M6 currently & upper thames street in London)) where most people will safely speed oblivious to the fact that they could accumulate 12 points in one journey doing 85mph on an empty motorway. No flash so you've no idea you've been done. No film so they are always live.
The RA2 warns you of the camera, then bleeps every 10sec while you are being monitored and also shows you your average speed while being monitored. PDA systems can only warn you of the camera, which is ok as long as you are confident you can stay under the limit until you are out of range.
I would also have a problem relying on a freebie database for licence saving info. It's really only a good choice if you already have a PDA/SatNav setup in the car.
As Steeeve already stated they can't ban RA or similar as they would then have to ban all GPS based systems including SatNav.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true about PDA systems not being able to warn you and monitor your average speed for the new cameras!

I am currently using TomTom3 on a iPAQ 2210 and I use the software called Checkpoint and POIplace. All the facilities are there and they are called Section cameras (Speed zones). The settings range from 20 to 130 in increments of 10 (kph or mph). In each speed setting you can give it a time for the first warning before the section starts, then the speed setting and then the last warning. The last tab in each one allows you to repeat the speed warning in the range of 5 to 60 seconds. Then the last tab allows you to specify the "stop monitoring the section after" 1 minute in increments up to 30 minutes.

Here is the URL for further information:
http://checkpoint.oabsoftware.nl/

Look under Manual > settings > Section warnings.

I understand these cameras are in use in Holland and this is where the software comes from.

regards