Strange Noise from turbo

RS_Goku

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been getting this noise on acceleration from the turbo. Happens in the mornings then sometimes not during the day when its warmer.

Anyone have this before or any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hard to tell which noise you mean but if its the deep droning noise when u accelerate that sounds more like the rubber donut couple of the front propshaft that will have split. Causes bad vibration around 2000rpm usually more noticeable in 4th 5th and 6th gear

No this is specifically coming from the turbo. Not sure if its the inlet or exhaust.

Standing still and I rev the engine it does a quick high pitch whistle. And its not the DV or intake. Was thinking there is a leak right by the turbo itself where it goes off to the inter-cooler or the intake to the intake pipes. Not sure as yet.

Hard to tell which noise you mean but if its the deep droning noise when u accelerate that sounds more like the rubber donut couple of the front propshaft that will have split. Causes bad vibration around 2000rpm usually more noticeable in 4th 5th and 6th gear

Does this happen to diesel Quattro 8P as well, since I have this on my car too

Yea. Happened on my 2011 A3 170 TDI quattro. Was changed at 26k miles as it split. Noise went. Now on 46k and it's coming back already. If you go to Audi they will charge u nearly £900 for a full new propshaft as Audi don't sell the rubber on its own. If you Google enough u will find a febi branded one for around £160 to £180 and easy enough to fit yourself if your handy with tools.

How many miles has your car done? Might be the turbo on its way out.