Super Unleaded BP OR SHELL OR TESCO or ?

dmaudi

Reaction score
Anyone got any expreince of which version Super Unleaded Audis prefer?

I have tried the Shell version and Im sure it added a little more menace to the exhaust note and improved throttle response in my 3.2 over regular unleaded,

but I think my local tesco's Super U is as good if not better?

Just seen BP have launced 102 octane Ultimate in my area although really for tuned turbos and high revving (Vtec?) engines it appears

I have not yet tried BP version, just wondered what the Forum's favourite was? or what other V6 or T/FSI owners had found

Mine definitely prefers Optimax over BP Ultimate. Haven't got the good Sainsburys or Tescos stuff near me so can't comment on that.

It's quite simple,and this is more or less a direct quote from a motorbike magazine this month.

If you're engine is designed to run on 'fancy' petrol,you may notice a drop in performance if you go to a lower octane.

However,you will NOT get any gain from using higher octane petrol.

You may notice a difference using fancy petrol of the same octane (optimax) because of the additives.

wow, that search button must be well and truly ******.

Go on try BP102ron and we'll wait for the thread about the price it cost to fill your tank at £2.42 per litre.

BTW i only use optimax in both our cars but then they are both turbocharged and mapped for 98Ron. My Volvo doesnt like tesco 99 ron, it causes det due to the 15% bio fuel content. Wont try it in the Audi after that.

thanks for the answers, should have guessed I'd get some useful pointers too...

not worried about the costs of 102, (but yes that price is a bit steep) mainly as I'm not planning on using a race fuel, the pump and price caught my eye on the forecourt, I'm sure a few will try it, probably someone with a turbo ...;)

running my first audi I thought I'd gauge your collective experience of what if any fuels those with engines mapped for the higher octanes particularly like,

my 3.2 still seems happiest on SHELL, the occasional throttle hesitation I did have on the tesco 99 has gone and seems perhaps so do others from a quick trial of that marvelous search facility,

guess I won't run a poll in case that's been done already eh guys...

cheers

I was told that supermarket hi-octane had high levels of mineral spirit in order to raise the octane and was bad for the engine as it overheated components such as valve seats, washed the bores of oil and was corrosive to tanks and fuel lines.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

There is an article in this months EVO about this subject with the head of Shell Racing Fuels

Jesus, £2.42 a litre ! Who the hell is going to pay that ? And why have they bothered dedicating pumps to it ?
With regards to higher octane not making a difference, it may on an aggressivley mapped turbo car. If you are running close to detonation and the ECU is pulling a bit of timing then the higher octane may well prevent the onset of detonation, hence the ecu won't switch timing maps.
Agree though, on std cars won't make any difference at all.

Chris.