Tyre pressures. Eek...

Satory

Reaction score
So the S3 is a month old now and has 750 miles. It was a nice morning, so decided to take it out early for its first good thrashing. Run in has been quite gentle so far and the car is using no oil; so far so good.

Given my exuberant mood I though it best to inspect the tyres and check the pressures all round. I know, I know it was stupid to drive the car for a month on whatever pressures the dealer set the car up with. Duh.

Stone cold 53 PSI all round!!!!!!! I dropped them to 38 PSI all round and instead of going for a good blast I spend the morning re-learning how the car handles. Getting there but ooh I do miss that crisp turn in that the ridiculously over-inflated tyres gave me.

Anyhoo, a note of caution for anyone taking delivery of a new one. Check 'em on day 1 just in case.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
53psi wowzers!

Anyone know how much more a tyre pressure goes up when warmed up ?(if any ?)

53psi is 3.6 bar(ish). Perhaps they were going for 36psi and read the wrong scale on the pressure gauge?

Reactions: Rob2k68, Satory and Jassyo06
Arrive home with new car.
1. Remove dealer sticker
2. Check tyre pressures

Reactions: zippster, Martinbanshee, xBox and 3 others
I dropped them to 38 PSI all round and instead of going for a good blast I spend the morning re-learning how the car handl

I would try 39-40 front and 37-38 rear if driving alone, been running on 40 front and back for a few days and car does not feel so well planted compared to a 2psi differential IMHO

53psi is 3.6 bar(ish). Perhaps they were going for 36psi and read the wrong scale on the pressure gauge?

I doubt they put that much thought to it..dodgy tyre fitter I had the other week inflated one of mine to 34, asked him to make it 38, no problem he said, got home and was still at 34, but was the oik who scuffed up my alloy ...grrrrr

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and Satory
Have always been taught the last 15 years or so to use the pressure specified on the tires themselves.

Mine say 50psi (non stock)

Reactions: Jassyo06
Have always been taught the last 15 years or so to use the pressure specified on the tires themselves.

Mine say 50psi (non stock)
Not knocking it if it works for you obviously.. But that's a bit odd as it doesn't factor in the weight of the car at all

Those are just general 'max' pressures that the tyres can handle I thought

Reactions: glospete, Martinbanshee, Satory and 1 other person
Yes the pressure on the side of the tyre is the maximum they should be used with, always set them at what the manufacturer recommends.

To the OP, I would say that the tyre pressures were missed during the PDI, I work for Ford, and the majority of cars come off the transporter with 40-50psi in them, setting the pressures is a crucial part of the PDI so not great on their part.

Reactions: Satory and Jassyo06
I would say always do it. I put a similar thread up when I got my S3 a couple of years back about this, in fact nearly every new car I've had (including Fords) have had wrong/high tyre pressures on delivery.

Also don't forget to reset your TPS system once you have adjusted the pressures

Reactions: Daveotto and Satory
Being an ex bike racer i am very fussy about tyre pressures and check them often as they do change depending on the weather. I have also noticed that pressure gauges do vary so best to uae a good one and not the one on the pump.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I have to say when I picked mine up the tyre pressures were spot on, one of the few things the dealer did get right.

Usually 3 people in my car so I run 42psi at the front and 39psi at the rear.

Reactions: Satory
I run 38psi front, 35psi back on a 3 door hatch, most of the time just two of us in the car..

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Satory