Tyre tread depth & rolling roads

Dippy

Reaction score
I guess this question is somewhat anal and I'm not sure I'll get any responses but what the hell...

I checked my front tyres are down to just under 5mm and my rears are 6mm so I think I need to rotate. But all going well I'll be off to MRC for a stage 2 in a month or so. Can the difference impact the results? If so should I leave the rotation until after the tune?

Part of a willy waving dyno run includes knocking it into neutral to measure the rolling resistance, so fear not.... your pride will not be damaged by having less deep tread on the front tyres ;)

When I dyno bikes I always fit a sticky rear tyre, but that's to avoid shredding tyres on the roller.

Tread depth wont make a issue, but pumping tyres up on some dynos will alter the results. All depends how they do their runs, how the car is strapped etc. If theres a proper run down to measure the losses then its going to be pretty accurate (providing good strapping, operator knowledge etc). Some dynos are able to calculate the bhp without doing a run down, which isnt very accurate.

Whole minefield of variables out there for RR data/printouts.

With brand new tyres on a rolling road they can over heat and the blocks on the tyre flex. This will show a lower power result on the rolling road. It is best to run them in a couple of thousand miles.
Winter Tyres can also over heat but much faster than summers, you are best going on the dyno with summer tyres which have been driven on for a couple of thousand miles to get more accurate results.