Tyres

StateOfPlay

Reaction score
Not liking the look of my front tyres, depth gauge shows the centre as 3 mil but because of the tracking the edges are virtually worn down.

Based upon these pics, would you replace them now or wait? I can get a deal at Costco.

tyre2.jpg

tyre1-1.jpg

tyre1.jpg

I change mine at 3mm, piece of mind really with all the rain we are getting at the moment, I'd get them changed or move them to the back

i'd keep using them, are they directionly or outer facing?

Not sure about that question. I only know that they are the front 2 of a set of 4 that I bought over a year ago.

The outer edge that is worn was never the 7mm depth when new.A minimum of 1.6mm in a continuous band throughout the central three-quarters of the tread width, throughout the whole of the circumference is legal, so scuffing of the outer edges is permissable.Its recommended that you change out at 3mm.Your tyres should be fine for quite a while.I personally change mine at about 4mm.If you can get a good deal now, then why not buy em and wait till they need changing? Win/Win as youll have to buy some eventually! If you are going to get it tracked, make sure its a 4 wheel laser job, and not at the likes of kwik fit.

Last edited:
Been offered a pair of Goodrich all in £101.14 each.

Tyre is 235/45/17/94y

What do you reckon?

Don't forget that 'legally' you only have to have 1.6mm across the *Central Three Quarters* of the tread, as long as the shoulder isn't worn to canvass you'll be ok.

Of course some people opt to replace before this stage, but quattro's often wear the shoulders out.

Last edited:
Don't forget that 'legally' you only have to have 1.6mm across the *Central Three Quarters* of the tread, as long as the shoulder isn;t worn to canvass you'll be ok.

Of course some people opt to replace before this stage, but quattro's often wear the shoulders out.

Cheers James, I panicked for a bit when I saw the edges nearly worn, but sleep a bit easier knowing the tread is at least 3mm across the middle of the tyre.

I will probably go for the Goodrich tyres from Costco. But I will leave it for a month. I think they are American, but they seem to have a good rep.

not trying to hi jack the thread but do folks still rotate the tyres? went to costco... they wanted to put the back tyres on to the front as it is the policy.. talked them around to leaving the back ones on as the were 6mm but the boss comes out and says they need to go on the front.. so i cancelled the order.... all i wanted was some more meat on the front end as im down to 3mm and the apr tune means that will probably be 2mm by next month.