What is this noise only on a cold start ???? HELP

Audis32015

Reaction score
hi guys

Anybody have a clue what this noise is - only on a cold start and goes away.

Thought it was the fan belt but I had that replaced two days ago.

Mine sounded like that before I replaced my timing belt, it lasted about 30 seconds before going away.

Im beginning to think that it is the timing belt mate - Its so annoying and if it is I need to get it changed right away

sounds like the aux belt or one of the pulleys to me, you could try running it without the belt to see if the noise goes away.

I just find it strange I got the fan belt replaced and the same noise is still there

Sounds like one of the belts rubbing on a cover, or the auxbelt has not been fitted correctly

Thanks mate.

strange how it only lasts for about 30s to a minute also ?

I agree with the aux belt or aux belt pulley. definitely makes that sound and would be worth running it without the cover if that doesn't sort it then remove the belt and see if that cures it.

Aux belts tend to make that noise when something is wrong for around a minute, any other belt would be a continuous noise.

The frequency of the noise relates to each revolution of a belt , not a pulley. I would remove the aux belt then start the engine, if the noise goes then it is the aux belt, if not it will be the cam belt.

If the car is over 4 years old now, it's time for a new one. You're actually on borrowed time now!