Another day another problem...

EvilSnow

Reaction score
Hello again guys, another problem yet arises to our juice guzzling dinosaurs.

I'm getting a knocking type noise from what I believe is the tensioner, or under the plastic cover thing? Near the head area

I'm getting no EML lights in the dash and it almost sounds like it's missing
Anyone shed some light?

Another thing is the revs are a bit funny, if I put the AC on which obviously increases the revs it goes

When I start the car up, it's all okay, after maybe 30-60seconds I get a knocking type noise, it isn't too loud but it affects the revs, ONLY at idle, if I'm driving it's all gravy

The sound seems like it's coming from the head area or maybe the tensioner I'm not 100% sure

I'm not really sure, I'm guessing chain cause it affect idle? Can I send videos or anything?

I just went out to the car and started it but it isn't doing it now lol, I took the plastic cover off though and the belt does look old and doesn't look like its sitting properly on the top pulley, I'm not sure if that affects anything

I've not got a EML on now too but can't check until Friday maybe

EML? What year is your car?

I was of the understanding from our previous conversations that it was a TQS, and TQS's dont have engine management lights, no cable throttle B5 does.

Sorry I thought I send a previous PM with more info
It's an engine code AUQ DBW

AUQ is a Golf engine and doesnt fit in a B5...

Audi didnt build any B5 1.8T Quattros with DBW either, at least not in the UK.

Your car somewhat puzzles me!

Whats your ECU part number? You'll get it from VCDS scan.

Yeah it is a Golf, my previous post for some reason isn't posting, I'm copying and pasting it but it isn't posting lol

306d22c9a07897180e8f45749d8d1e5f.jpg

P0102 is maf reading too low

P0171 is oxy sensor lean

Check for the following

- Intake air leaks
- Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
- Ignition misfiring
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Exhaust gas leaks
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Lack of fuel
- Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
- Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection

I've checked almost everything there Brad man, and still nothing. It's coming from the head/pully side

Very very slight knocking, it's got worse cause the revs drop and the sound gets a little louder and then idles as normal

I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get a pro to have a look, however much that costs

Video it and email it over PM for email

The fact its lean suggest theres to much air mixture or to less a fuel, and the maf is reading too low air flow which would suggest a bad maf or something on the intake is drawing unwanted air in or the maf is faulty causing the ecu to inject fuel for the reading the maf is giving but its probably getting the right amount of air just a bad reading from the maf so the mixture is lean disconnect the maf and try or source a new one from euro or tps get a genuine bosch unit exchange will do i got one.

Does it sound like its knock/pinking ??

I'm gonna sort a MAF right now ordered to be delivered, and I really don't know, it sounds like something is knocking and definitely not a healthy knock, I don't even wanna drive her

I've been told that it's the hydraulic lifters and I should replace all the pulleys/water pump

Make a video and let us hear the noise.

If its "lifters" it could actually be oil pressure issue for instance, quite a common fault with these engines due to ***** servicing.

Aragon I'm still a B5 man, this is just a car that my friend basically gave to me and I wanna repair and sell on

I'm gonna video it right after I service it today

Hmm if its lifters why is someone saying to change pulleys etc that would still leave you with bad lifters

Exactly, well I ended up servicing her and nothing changed, got a new MAF and it idles fine now but the knocks still there
I had two guy say it was the drive tensioner so I went to ECP and grabbed one along with s belt as the belt comes off anyway so I'm gonna fit it in about 15 and see how it goes

Fitted the tensioner and all seems okay, the only issue is when the cars under load/pulling away I get that sound again

Is there a freewheel alternator pulley on these?might be something to check,it cause a ticking noise on my tdi

I read through the invoices today and the TB was done December 2014 :S

Yeah I'm gonna tonight Aragorn and see if it solves it

I had a similar sound on b6 when the alternator shaft bearings or something like that were gone