A3 3.2 2004

Loreleislover

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm a new Audi owner,
Got a 2004 a3 3.2

Got problems

When sat in park the revs are around 650 and the car judders every couple of seconds like a pulsing type thing it just rocks me in my seat a bit. The engine is a bit tappy and there is a metallic grinding noise in the engine bay.
I rang a mechanic and told him he said timing chain minimum 1700 maybe more. It's probably jumped a tooth on the timing.

Does this sound correct? I know it's not much to go on any help would be appreciated.

It's a 2004 with 78k on clock

When I was looking to buy my 3.2 I test drove quite a few pre 2005 models with the timing chain rattle. You'll know if you have it if you stick your head in the engine bay and listen underneath the oil filler cap. Apparently it was more of a problem pre 2005 until Audi changed the timing chain tensioner, and changed the chain for one that didn't have the logo embossed on the chain.

I believe VCDS can check the engine timing and tell you if the timing is out. This should be your next course of action before changing the chain as its an expensive job, usually done by removing the engine for access.

The juddering could be a sign, but it could also be dirty injectors or a failing coolant temperature sensor.

Hi mate, sorry to hear of your early engine woes.
How you can diagnose a timing chain noise without the car in front of you is beyond me. You need someone with some Audi experience and vcds to check it over. He is right that the full timing chain and guides would be £1700 though, it's an engine out jobbie. There is always a chance that the problem is not severe and expensive as it first seems. Good luck.