Fixed it

paddy

Reaction score
I have had a recurring fault code for a year, translated it said "too rich at idle", cancelled it dozens of times but comes back after 150 miles. Put it in Audi main dealership and they said its fuel in the oil....changed the oil and charged me £300, needless to say the light came back on after 150 miles. Incidentally how do they get away with charging £90 to plug VCDS in for 5 minutes ?
Anyway local audi independent had a look and the carbon filter in the breather tank had broken up and part of it was stuck in the solenoid valve so it was stuck open. easy fix, new breather box and valve £180.00 all in.
Just thought i would mention this because at 50k miles and 5 years its an easy thing for people to check themselves if you get the fault code P2188, done 1200 miles since and no light .

Reactions: DJ_26, HHS3 and S.
Glad your all fixed now Paddy. For future reference if you need a vcds scan, have a look at the vcds map for someone local to you. The guys usually only ask for beer tokens. £90 for scan at dealership is just a rip off to be honest.

Ha ha i have VCDS thanks Sandra, cant go 10 years with an Audi without it in fact they should fit in the boot with the jack and wheel wrench as std :)
I told Audi what the code was and the symptoms but of course they insist on looking for themselves and charging.

Reactions: Sandra
i hope you went back to Audi and tried to get at least the diagnostic money back as what they tried to fix didn't

I'm afraid i know Audi to well. They would simply say bring it back and we will look again. Trouble is i have been down this road before with Audi trying to guess the answer to a problem and continually getting it wrong, you end up running up huge bills because even if they fit new parts that don't cure it they will still charge you for them. Better to go to someone who knows what they are doing and can get it diagnosed before they start fitting parts.
I once had a major problem with my 3.2 and the Service manager said "its your fault for keeping it outside the warranty" what does that say about Audi dealerships :)

Reactions: DJ_26
I once had a major problem with my 3.2 and the Service manager said "its your fault for keeping it outside the warranty" what does that say about Audi dealerships :)

I remember those days paddy and the endless search for the hesitation cure.
Hope your well:salute:

Reactions: paddy
Hi Ju
Good to see you still here :)
I looked up the 3.2 on the gov site the other day and its still going ( taxed and MOT'd) despite my driving it in to a wall 7 years ago :)

There is a reason theit called stealerships.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Hi Ju
Good to see you still here :)
I looked up the 3.2 on the gov site the other day and its still going ( taxed and MOT'd) despite my driving it in to a wall 7 years ago :)
Surprised you didn't push it off a cliff tbh lol.
Still miss mine a little tbh:racer:

I miss mine every time i try and pull out quickly at a roundabout etc and the S3 DSG has a long think about what its going to do and the turbo has a cup of tea. :) Cure that and they would knock 2 seconds off the 0-60 :)

Spoke to soon..........1600 miles this time but light back on and 2 fault codes
1/ rich at tickover
2/ camshaft position sensor slow to react

almost at the point of giving up now. 10k miles of lights coming on. Can audi make a car that goes past 50k miles ? certainly my last 2 have struggled. while my old vivaro van ploughs on at well over 110k miles and never misses a beat.
anyway so far this year the audi has had new oil pump pick up filter, 3 oil changes, new hpfp and cam follower, new oil breather box and solenoid valve, new discs, cam belt, water pump and several other item and it still has an engine management light on, the brakes still judder and something is whining up the back, probably the diff.
What kills it for me is i bought new, maintained a full main dealer service history and they still cant give me a car that goes 6 weeks without a problem ( or fix the current problems come to that)