Diversity antenna DAB options

maxpayne

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve just got a Pioneer CarPlay head unit (SPH-DA130DAB) and thinking of options for receiving DAB radio.

Currently I have a Concert II single DIN set up (I have to do a double DIN conversion, but that’s a separate topic).

Looking at the back of the Concert unit, I can see that it has a yellow Fakra input and the standard antenna input. My understanding is that the latter is hooked up to a powered amplifier in the boot that is in turn connected to the hatch window’s defogger element.

So I guess I have two question:

1. Regardless of DAB, what type of connector would I need? Something like http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CT27AA05? One thing I noticed that this doesn’t seem to have provisions for attaching the yellow Fakra cable. Will this have any impact?

2. Are there solutions that can use the amplified signal form the antenna and use it to feed that DAB input on the new HU? Surely this seems possible?

Many thanks.

I tried a couple of adapters but I wasn't able to get DAB working this way. In the end I got the sticker-type aerial that you put on the windscreen. It worked ok but wasn't pretty.
At the moment I have "Toiot DAB car aerial" from Amazon (I couldn't insert the link here) which I've hidden under the pillar trim. Reception quality varies, but at least it's invisible...

Regarding the single- to double-DIN conversion: how far have you got with this? I looked into it a while ago, but it seemed like far more work and expense that it was worth.

Reactions: maxpayne
Hi All,

I’ve just got a Pioneer CarPlay head unit (SPH-DA130DAB) and thinking of options for receiving DAB radio.

Currently I have a Concert II single DIN set up (I have to do a double DIN conversion, but that’s a separate topic).

Looking at the back of the Concert unit, I can see that it has a yellow Fakra input and the standard antenna input. My understanding is that the latter is hooked up to a powered amplifier in the boot that is in turn connected to the hatch window’s defogger element.

So I guess I have two question:

1. Regardless of DAB, what type of connector would I need? Something like http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CT27AA05? One thing I noticed that this doesn’t seem to have provisions for attaching the yellow Fakra cable. Will this have any impact?

2. Are there solutions that can use the amplified signal form the antenna and use it to feed that DAB input on the new HU? Surely this seems possible?

Many thanks.

There’s a few threads about this from not so long ago.
There is 100% no way of getting the A3 antenna to work for dab it just isn’t possible as the antenna amplifier is only for fm/am.
You need to get a roof antenna which will give you the best signal or a stick on windscreen antenna but with these the reception is poor.
One person did find that on the rear windscreen there were a couple of spare solder points round the edge from the windscreen antenna. He soldered onto these and connected the dab amplifier to it that comes attached to a stick on windscreen antenna and then ran the cable to the head unit and reported that this gave decent signal.
A roof mounted antenna is always best though, the bigger the better for reception.

Reactions: maxpayne
I tried a couple of adapters but I wasn't able to get DAB working this way. In the end I got the sticker-type aerial that you put on the windscreen. It worked ok but wasn't pretty.
At the moment I have "Toiot DAB car aerial" from Amazon (I couldn't insert the link here) which I've hidden under the pillar trim. Reception quality varies, but at least it's invisible...

Regarding the single- to double-DIN conversion: how far have you got with this? I looked into it a while ago, but it seemed like far more work and expense that it was worth.

I’ve gone as far as getting the cage. You’re right, it’s a lot of hassle. In fact this is my second attempt! I bought all the parts etc. previously and left it to gather dust for almost a year before selling on the items.

I spotted a cage and button set recently and the bug somehow caught me again haha.

This time I’m going to probably take it to a retrofitter and call it a day. Otherwise I’ll never get it done I suspect.

Indeed. After some more investigation, I’ve come to the conclusion that the amplifier in the back amplifies only FM/AM signal and the frequency range for both doesn’t overlap DAB at all which means it’s a guaranteed lost cause. The idea of a DAB antenna hidden under the A pillar sounds very tempting over the shark fin as it sounds a lot less hassle with some trade off with reception.

Thanks.

Update.
I’ve installed the Toiot DAB antenna, hidden in the A pillar trim and works like a charm!

This was a really helpful suggestion as I have decent DAB reception without fitting a shark fin antenna.

Being in London also probably helps with reception.

Reactions: JayTeeA38P