Sportback Tarox brakes vibration

zorbagogo

Reaction score
Website
www.autos-gr.be
Hello,

I have a RS3 8V daza and recently installed Tarox discs+pads.
The brakes are crazy good but when they get slightly warm the front discs start vibrating constantly from 100km/h and when braking they vibrate hard.

We already contacted Tarox and they gave us a new pair of front discs but even with the new discs the problem stays the same.

Anyone experienced the same problem? Or maybe something I can try to fix the problem?

Attachments

• Tarox 8V.jpg
    Tarox 8V.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: 45bvtc
Yes, I bedded the brakes in fine , first time I have a issue like this.
Have you had a dial gauge on them to check runout?

Once you are sure there is no runout I would still try some medium hard stops down to 20-30 then 10-15mins off the brakes to see if it helps.

Like I say sitting still with your foot on hot brakes can do it, some pad/disc combinations worse than others

Have you checked the 'inside' face of the brake disc? Outside face may look ok but what about the inside?

We had a similar issue to you with our 8P RS3 running OEM pads and here's what we found:

InsideOutside brake disc

Outside and inside, obviously. And both nearside and offside front brake discs were the same with LOADS of friction-deposit on the inside faces of both discs, not working for sure and 'grabbing!'

Note: I ran without inner brake shields for a time if only to check 'cooling':

Shields

And for sure while we thought that an improvement it did NOT resolve our issue.

Problem WAS solved however by using a 'better than OEM' brake pad i.e., Ferodo Eco Friction. These pads are 'disc friendly' and provide, for us, perfect road-use braking. Now use 'em on our TT/RS3 and SQ5 and H A P P Y brakes :racer:

Have you had a dial gauge on them to check runout?

Once you are sure there is no runout I would still try some medium hard stops down to 20-30 then 10-15mins off the brakes to see if it helps.

Like I say sitting still with your foot on hot brakes can do it, some pad/disc combinations worse than others

Agree here, I’ve known people to do this bedding in then come to a standstill and the foot on the pedal creates a hot spot on the disc.

I’ve had several Reyland discs and Ferodo DS 2500 / DBA pads and never had an issue after the bedding in procedure.

The DBA were a monster pad, but took 1000 miles to bed in fully.

I’d agree with flybynight in that you need to check run out / disc mounting / check the bolts on the hub/disc and make sure they are all torqued the same.

Also worth checking all eight pistons on that caliper are moving freely in / out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: flybynite
What did Tarox say about the discs they replaced? Did you ask 'em to check 'em i.e., run-out and/or contamination?

Are you using these supa-dupa brakes for fast road or just visiting Delhaize/AD Delhaize - and there's lots that do!

Hope you really are FAST-ROAD as there are some truly lovely roads in Belgium (I was based in Eindhoven for a time) on which to play :racer:

What did Tarox say about the discs they replaced? Did you ask 'em to check 'em i.e., run-out and/or contamination?

Are you using these supa-dupa brakes for fast road or just visiting Delhaize/AD Delhaize - and there's lots that do!

Hope you really are FAST-ROAD as there are some truly lovely roads in Belgium (I was based in Eindhoven for a time) on which to play :racer:
Tarox said that I should upgrade to powerflex bushings to stop the vibration, but that makes no sense to me. (the car has 50.000KM the bushings are fine)

The car is in greece so yes really really fast driving.

Tarox said that I should upgrade to powerflex bushings to stop the vibration, but that makes no sense to me. (the car has 50.000KM the bushings are fine)

The car is in greece so yes really really fast driving.
My mistake of your location, sorry, but yes I agree with you - it ain't the 'bushings.' As you say, "but when they get slightly warm the front discs start vibrating constantly from 100km/h and when braking they vibrate hard." I know it's a pain but maybe try a pair of (OEM) non-groved discs/rotors - I've never been fond of 'grooved' discs on a road car for the characteristics you report. Others will disagree I know but maybe try some OEM rotors.

Reactions: zorbagogo
I've never been fond of 'grooved' discs on a road car for the characteristics you report. Others will disagree I know but maybe try some OEM rotors.

I agree, when my originals need replacing they will get plain discs, no grooves, no holes, just plain steel. Original Brembo pads. Nothing more.

Plain discs and either ATE or Brembo pads on everything I have. No interest in re-inventing the wheel.

Reactions: zorbagogo and 45bvtc
and this here is the reason why i only replace my brake disks with Zimmermann ones when i want grooved, drilled or grooved & drilled disks... they've never did anything like the above I always bed them in with sport pads usually the ferodo ds2500 pads (and if they don't have them i go for the eco green version) properly never had a problem other than having to clean the wheels more often because of more brake dust compared to the oem disks...

don't get me wrong my B7 audi hasn't got upgraded disks and won't get them either.... it stops quick enough. And i don't drive it hard at all ;)

47583149e9c491c7b8a038faa242c6e2.jpg

Never had any issues with mine (2 x sets of Reylands)

Must admit the DBA pads were by far better than 2500’s though once I’d done around 1k miles.

Reactions: flybynite and northpole
Never had any issues with mine (2 x sets of Reylands)
I was going to get Reyland to do me plain discs as I think drilling is for show and grooving mostly unnecessary on the road. Only caveat is mine sits for a while occasionally and grooves can help cleaning the rusty crap off the pad that it hoovers up off the disc after standing.

Mine will be getting the Brembo XTRA pads as suggested by Brembo. Sensible price too if you hunt around

Did you get any squeaking from those curved grooves? Any reason you went with them and not the straight J-hook or Alcon 'C' style?

Were they standard size or 380mm? Cant make it out from the pic

Reactions: 8YARWY
I was going to get Reyland to do me plain discs as I think drilling is for show and grooving mostly unnecessary on the road. Only caveat is mine sits for a while occasionally and grooves can help cleaning the rusty crap off the pad that it hoovers up off the disc after standing.

Mine will be getting the Brembo XTRA pads as suggested by Brembo. Sensible price too if you hunt around

Did you get any squeaking from those curved grooves? Any reason you went with them and not the straight J-hook or Alcon 'C' style?

No noises at all I was really happy ( I know a lot that didn’t get on with the Reylands though)
370 was enough for my use.
I liked the slight curve as opposed to the other options.

and this here is the reason why i only replace my brake disks with Zimmermann ones when i want grooved, drilled or grooved & drilled disks... they've never did anything like the above I always bed them in with sport pads usually the ferodo ds2500 pads (and if they don't have them i go for the eco green version) properly never had a problem other than having to clean the wheels more often because of more brake dust compared to the oem disks...

don't get me wrong my B7 audi hasn't got upgraded disks and won't get them either.... it stops quick enough. And i don't drive it hard at all ;)
Yup, I have drilled Zimmermann discs on my 8P with Ferodo DS performance pads and they are really good

Reactions: northpole
Yup, I have drilled Zimmermann discs on my 8P with Ferodo DS performance pads and they are really good
Yeah the fact that they have a TUV certification is the reason why I went for them over all the others... it just means they are less likely to have problems.

Reactions: zorbagogo

I had these VBT 355 on the rears too.

Just for cosmetic looks really.

On the 8Y I’m not even remotely bothered about changing anything other than tyres when they wear out, if I haven’t changed by then that is, keep looking mind.

4313cd7c7ffeb3ce49234027624e930b.jpg

On the 8Y I’m not even remotely bothered about changing anything other than tyres when they wear out, if
I'm not really into changing things just for the sake of it but my original brakes are getting near the end at 30k and I'm looking for options. I like the idea of floating discs with the fixed calipers on the front and getting a minor improvement for less than the cost of another set of OEM makes sense as the car is a keeper for me.

Plain discs and OEM Brembo pads was first choice but I'm now thinking grooves might be helpful even though I prefer the look of plain discs as it adds to the sleeper effect.

grooves are helpful even on oem pads, as they skim the pads and clears brake dust and water away from the mating surfaces... and they help prevent pad glazing... all in all a good thing to have. But you'll notice more brake dust compared to plain disks.

grooves are helpful even on oem pads, as they skim the pads and clears brake dust and water away from the mating surfaces... and they help prevent pad glazing... all in all a good thing to have. But you'll notice more brake dust compared to plain disks.
Yeah I get the benefits, but for me it is more the use rather than the pad. For regular road use I think plain discs are fine. There is always a risk of grooves causing noise or vibration which I don't want.

The fact my RS is not daily driven the discs often get a bit of surface rust which means grooves will be helpful and probably worth the risk. As I said above Brembo do a pad compound for the RS3 specifically for grooved or drilled discs.

I am just trying to decide what groove to use. J-hooks are considered the best but I don't like the look. It is a reasonably expensive mistake to get wrong.

I am just trying to decide what groove to use. J-hooks are considered the best but I don't like the look. It is a reasonably expensive mistake to get wrong.
and this here is the reason why i stick to Zimmermann performance disks... they don't have the downsides of most grooved disks... plus you can get drilled & grooved ones... would come in handy as you say you use the RS3 hard... although i know the J grooves are considered the best they look weird... plus i like the look of the holes in the disks especially if you get the black coated ones... the coating will wear off during use but... stays put in the holes/ hub part and the outer rim meaning less rust as only the flat surface on the disks will have no coating when it has worn off.

now all this talk has made me look at them again although i really don't need them... with my B7 avant being the CVT the braking is done automatically on both on the engine and the brakes so it comes to a stop really quick... if i was to upgrade to bigger disks and rs4 calipers i wonder how violent the braking will be it's already violent now if you push on the brake pedal a bit to quick... but looks wise it'll look awesome!

F-that i just added them to the list, rs4 big brake conversion with rs4 calipers on all 4 corners.. (now for the hunt to find them cheap)

would come in handy as you say you use the RS3 hard.
No I don't use the car hard, quite the opposite. I neither like nor want drilled discs. Drilling does nothing other than promote cracks and lessen the braking force. I get Zimmerman are good but I have had no issue with ATE and Brembo discs either. To have a floating disc is a benefit on the fixed calipers (not so much on the rear) which is why I am looking at the Reylands. I only need the grooves to stop the pads glazing after standing.

Reactions: northpole
as i said they do grooved/ drilled/ and grooved and drilled... but any other brand that does the same (and might be cheaper) is always a good option! as i said i always look at Zimmermann first and usually buy them because of the price... but i just did a search for Rs4 disks and all they had was drilled ones... so not going to happen with their brand this time around... the search is on ( i've got a A4 B7 avant)