B7 general discussion/chat thread.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As in the title really chaps.
A more general discussion or chat thread for the B7 forum.

Just feel free to ask or chat about anything B7-related or bits in between..
It is more of a general thread for chaps looking to ask or chat about stuff rather than search for info and start new threads on old previous subjects which can be hard to find.

Such as Recaro seats which are the hot topic at the moment.. :yes: :thumbs up:

Reactions: Rob Avant and Jamsmoo
Well played sir ,I’m guilty for turning that thread off topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Well played sir ,I’m guilty for turning that thread off topic

Nope, I think we are all prone to getting a bit carried away on threads...lol

This way we can go for it without going off topic. :yes: :thumbs up:

Reactions: Jamsmoo
Having my weekly snoop at whats for sale, and on the S4 front, saw this on Autotrader.

Nice example , not cheap though but is a manuall Avant which is a rare thing. :yes:

looks a nice spec aswell.:thumbs up:

Like this one too ,great colour and chains done ,it’s on fb for 7-8k can’t quite remember,so it’ll be no where near it’s reserve at the min

Looks like the one I had for a short while..but better as it is manual and the engine works :thumbs up: .

Would like to know the reserve price.

7434ab45b0394e1d88723048b02c8ef5.jpg

Wants proper money ,guess his reserves around 7.5

Hoping some s4 recaros appear soon somewhere from a certain imola yellow jdm

• Haha
Reactions: swisstony and Charlie Farley
Hoping some s4 recaros appear soon somewhere from a certain imola yellow jdm

Is there something we need to know James..lol

Reactions: northpole and Jamsmoo
well chances are high that yellow JDM s4 will be broken for parts rather sooner than later.... but that said i really couldn't care less about those Recaro's yes they are nice... but the rs4 wingbacks are the must haves to be fair... sure i'd go for S4 seats over the S-line leathers, but not at the asking prices... For that money I can actually buy a B7 avant 2.0T quattro (yes it'll be a high mileage one and not a BUL 220BHP special edition ) with leather seats....

Yes i do watch every penny, and like to do OEM upgrades at the lowest price possible... I've bought a whole car before just for the wheels and tires as they where recently refurbished with brand new tires... (it did have an engine problem) but instead of breaking the donor car I just swapped the wheels to my car and drove it to the scrappy got 500 pounds for it... i paid 350... so in essence i got new wheels and tires + 150 pounds. Those are the kind of things that make me happy. But i also think that was just pure luck.

It's that personal choice thing really, yes we always bang on about it but in reality, cars and acc etc are a very personal thing, what works for one may not work for another, life would be very dull otherwise.:yes:

I'm not a fan of the wingbacks, they look nice but find them a tad uncomfortable, tend to feel like I'm sitting up against a wall with nothing in between, whereas the comfort recaro's are really good, but hey, just me.

Reactions: northpole
never sat in the wingbacks just really like the look of them... that said it's the comfort bit that I found equal in both the S4 and S-line seats that makes me wonder why the hell they are that expensive for... wait i know.. because S4 and scene tax... nope not doing it... granted the s4 recaro's hugh you better so less sliding about on spirited B-road runs... but that is about it... oww and they kinda look better too... but an S-line interior in full black will have almost the same interior upgrade look, especially coming from the standard cloth seats...
Note: yes they aren't S4 seats... but as long as the S-line seats are embossed and heated i wouldn't count them out.

But hey if you already had an S4 or an RS4 you will be hard pushed liking the S-line seats... especially when you've had the S-line seats and they are worn and need the frame repaired ( been there with my mk3 vr6 nothing nice about having to strip a seat down to fix the frame)

I am lucky in some way as I have both, the wingbacks in the RS and the S Line in the well, s-line :) can confirm whilst the wingbacks are lovely to look at you do need to be fairly slight of frame to fit in...but fairly comfy . S line seats on the other hand are great to sit in just dont hug as much as the recaros I assume.

I will have these s line seats going begging soon :)

Reactions: northpole and Charlie Farley
Exactly, I’m 6’3 and of a large frame hence why I find the wing backs a bit uncomfortable, my sline ones were really nice even on long drives but lacked that extra side support for me , I like that snug fit but not too snug.
The “comfort” recaro’s are the best of both , really comfy as the sline ones but with that enhanced level of support found with the recaro’s.
A win , win situation really.

What I really like about the recaro’s is that sense of sitting in a seat and bieng comfortable and snug rather than sitting on the seat about to slide off. Lol
It makes the whole driving experience more involved and enjoyable.

Unlike my old 2001 v6 Sri vectra seats, they looked awesome in black leather , in reality we’re horrid things.

Ive had a lot of cars over the last 42 years of car ownership and the recaro’s in the old bus now are probably the best to date, not as good as those in my old 964 c4 but not far off.

Lol you do realise that the old s-line seats are just an old model recaro seat? Hence the comfort... but the bolsters have been pushed out on purpose... so that they could introduce the newer model for the S4 recaro seats.. and than they did the rs4 and took their latest model... that's why you can find wingbacks in almost all makes of cars... yes the rs4 seats are the same wingback found in the vauxhall corsa vxr and the insignia vxr... just the wrong logo on them but the seats are the same.. a welder and some fabrication and you got wingback recaro's...

Problem is even for those cars they are way to expensive...

And since I don't do big trips anymore... the s-line comfort with sliding will do ;)

See unlike most i don't need to have the top of the line just comfort and heated leather... ;)

Last edited:
Yep, was fully aware of that..:whistle2:

A bit like the RS4 euro fbsw ,also fitted to numerous other VAG brands, just a different label.

At home in a lambo too.
IMG 4334

Reactions: Rob Avant, swisstony and northpole
F-ing nice steeeringwheel! and that aftermarket radio bezel! what brand is that ( not the radio the bezel) as i got a pioneer laying around doing nothing more than being lazy as i couldn't find a proper bezel that is that nice. The standard stuff i have seen makes them look out of place yours is perfect looks like it always was there.

@Charlie Farley bezel = facia (also for the people that didn't get it). The ones i've seen are all mweh... don't slot around the radio properly at all, that's why i didn't bother putting the pioneer in although it is a multimedia headunit. the facia's i've seen make it look out of place. Plus i'm also looking for some new floormats that actually have the S-line logo on them... if anyone knows where to get those please point me in the right direction.

Well that was a mission ! plan was to move all the cars off the driveway so I could dig out the cayenne as that has the biggest load space out of all our cars. Trouble is , havent used it in months and it tends to drain the battery. So after scrapping ice off the cars, moved them off , I managed to jump the porsche.It wasnt happy and killed my jump pack getting it going and then whilst edging around another car it died on me and couldnt get it started again so battery is dead.

so abandoned that idea and took the fiesta St and the RS. Nice little run to southampton and on the way stopped in GSF for a new battery for the porsche which I had reserved online. Yup after a while searching they said they didnt have it so had to peg it to the next branch before they closed..muppets.
Anyway made it to the guy selling the interior and when he saw me pull up in the RS, he was like.." no way the S line interior is going in there !" Calmed him down by saying its for an S line :) Anyway as it happens he has bought an RS4 comfort interior for his S Line avant so hence why he had this interior for sale. Between our two cars we got it all in with enough room for the good wife to decide since we were out that some retail therapy was needed !

Back home and when the weather is dry will swap the fronts over and then decide what to do on the rears.
In the meantime I will be fitting a new battery to a cayenne which is ahuge PITA..in e rain as well no doubt. nice

Reactions: northpole and Charlie Farley
Well that was a mission ! plan was to move all the cars off the driveway so I could dig out the cayenne as that has the biggest load space out of all our cars. Trouble is , havent used it in months and it tends to drain the battery. So after scrapping ice off the cars, moved them off , I managed to jump the porsche.It wasnt happy and killed my jump pack getting it going and then whilst edging around another car it died on me and couldnt get it started again so battery is dead.

so abandoned that idea and took the fiesta St and the RS. Nice little run to southampton and on the way stopped in GSF for a new battery for the porsche which I had reserved online. Yup after a while searching they said they didnt have it so had to peg it to the next branch before they closed..muppets.
Anyway made it to the guy selling the interior and when he saw me pull up in the RS, he was like.." no way the S line interior is going in there !" Calmed him down by saying its for an S line :) Anyway as it happens he has bought an RS4 comfort interior for his S Line avant so hence why he had this interior for sale. Between our two cars we got it all in with enough room for the good wife to decide since we were out that some retail therapy was needed !

Back home and when the weather is dry will swap the fronts over and then decide what to do on the rears.
In the meantime I will be fitting a new battery to a cayenne which is ahuge PITA..in e rain as well no doubt. nice
A busy day indeed.
Now if you had an Avant it would all fitted inside....:whistle2::thumbs up:, sorry had to just slide that in ...lol.

You have just way too many cars chap, it must drain your wallet just having them sitting on the drive let alone using them.

you see , everyone iis doing the comfort seat option.:yes:

anyway after all that rushing around chap you best put your feet up now for a comfy evening.:thumbs up:

Spotted a rather nice Misano blue B7 RS4 Avant this afternoon in Sunningdale whilst out on my travels, really mint example. :yes:

Something for those who are still in search for one.
drop me a pm fo rthe details.

Reactions: Jamsmoo and northpole
All this talk about seats
The wingbacks were ok with me on a 300 mile round trip yesterday but understand they're horses for courses. I'm nearly 6ft and of a slight build.
re the grill Rob, a lad has asked if anyone has anything going, sure he put it on here? he's on one of the other forums as well so might be worth dropping him a message.
let me know if you can't find his ID etc...

Yeah some love them others don't... I like the look of them but I'm 6.ft1 and if people that are a little taller than me already moan about them being less comfy well than I'll listen to it... I bought the car for comfort and the extra space the avant has... the oem cloth s-line seats in it are comfy but they are cloth and not black

Not Audi related but fitted a new battery to the Porsche. I know getting the battery out of my A4 is a ******* as it is way back near the bulkhead and a tight fit, but dear god the Porsche is a horrible design. Under the passenger seat so you have to slide it forward to get the back trim over to then slide it back to get to the front spline bolts and then tilt the whole assembly back. Now moving an electric seat when you have no power so you have to jump the c ar to do that, realise you forgot one poxy screw on the cover so repeat the process and then somehow lift a battery out an angle with one hand and the battery weighs a ****** ton !!
oh and all doing it in the sodding rain... what joy. Anyway got it all fitted and celebrated by being told by my wife that it looked dirty so out came all the cleaning gear.....yes in the rain.

But have got all the new interior all cleaned up, leather treated and it is ready for swapping over the fronts when the weather allows.
I shall tackle the front seats and have already spoken to someone about recolouring the backs if I decide to go down that route.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and northpole
Looking forward to seeing pics of the seats fitted. :yahoo:
What trim are they?

One thing that really irritates me with my Avant and has done from day one is that the rear seats don't lay flat , they are always at an angle , it is not an issue except when using the full length of load space and rear passenger space.
I just find it bonkers that it is not level, I normally have to remove the seat bench to get it flat, surely that is just a mad situation.

any anyone else find this or is it just my old bus.

Nope that is just how they are it doesn't go flat keeps a slight angle even the a6 (from the same time period) is the same...

Thanks chap, nice to know its not just me, what a mad design though.
I'll just keep removing the bench seat then, not ideal but does the job.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the seats fitted. :yahoo:
What trim are they?
Standard S-Line trim just all in soul black which is what I wanted. If the rain stops and I dont get blown away by the wind today, I might attempt the removal.