Headlight range adjustment

polar

Reaction score
I have an A4 3.0 Cab Sport.

I recently put my car in my garage and decided to check the Head light range adjustment knob.

One of my headlight does not change position, but the drivers side if the knob is moved from 0 to 3 the headlamp seems to go up slightly.

My question which way should the lamp move when adjusted, i.e. if the knob is moved from 0 to 3 should the lamp go up or down.

Also does anyone know what to check as the passenger head lamp does not move?

3 will drop them (when there's weight in the back) - the mechanism behind the light can come adrift, it happened to mine, but it wasn't me who fixed so I cant offer much advice.

The fact that the drivers side headlight goes up when the knob is adjusted from 0 to 3 may mean it has a problem. Not sure if the mechanism can be incorrectly fitted i.e (back to front)

I'm not sure mate, not enough room to see is there!

Have you got etka to have a look at?

I'll take that as a no then!

its the Audi parts software, cost about a fiver on ebay, well worth it.

Get yourself a copy of Elsawin while you're there, thats the workshop software and is worth a look too.

I've just had a quick look on etka, this seems to be for self levelling suspension, but I imagine the principle is the same, don't know if this helps:

Headadjust.jpg

I check the lights this morning while sitting the car at the front of the garage and I get a slight movement on the passenger headlamp when moving the headlamp range adjuster. This must mean something is seized up in the Headlamp or just needs a needs cleaning