Over Boosting??

S3 Johnny

The grass isn't always greener
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I just wanted to know how to find out if my S3 is over boosting?
Its pulling well but the turbo is quite loud when boosting, i know it sounds cool but i don't think it right.
I've had it remapped and it was quiet and then i had a FMIC put on soon after that it got loud.
A bit of help would br great.
Thanks for your time Johnny

Do you have a boost gauge?
Vag com?
Are you sure there isnt a boost leak of some kind?
The only time i would say my turbo was loud was when i had a leak,
I have also had over boost issues... i was making over 2.5 bar of boost. But it all sounded normal.

Do you have a boost gauge?
Vag com?
Are you sure there isnt a boost leak of some kind?
The only time i would say my turbo was loud was when i had a leak,
I have also had over boost issues... i was making over 2.5 bar of boost. But it all sounded normal.

No boost gauge or Vag com,
Might be a leak, how would i find out??

Does it idle ok?
If it does but is loud on boost,
I would start with simple things like the pipes that go to th diverter valve, The boost pipe work that you can see in the engine bay too.
The red hose from the turbo to the hard boost pipe does fail over time too.

Does it idle ok?
If it does but is loud on boost,
I would start with simple things like the pipes that go to th diverter valve, The boost pipe work that you can see in the engine bay too.
The red hose from the turbo to the hard boost pipe does fail over time too.
No it doesn't idle ok thinking about it, its does move about a bit when on idle.
What does that mean??
Thanks Johnny

check under the inlet manifold ... there are alot of small rubber vacum hoses under there. they always split.
My basic rule when looking there is... if there are any oily pipes under there. you maywell have a split hose. These do effect the tick over of the car

My breather hoses under the inlet manifold were full of black gunk! The outside of the pipes were also filthy which indicated i had a leak just as Paul mentioned. I've changed them to the Forge breather hose kit and my car starts properly now which no coughing kinda starts. It's started doing it again though, that's down to my dead maf sensor once again :(