car didn't stop

finesse

Reaction score
gents,

tried to stop at a junction today but the car did not, luckily there was no traffic.... The ABS kicked in.

wasn't going fast at all, now the car stops at slow speeds gingerly

new premium front tyres

what's going on chaps?

Mine does this too. I think it's got something to do with the tracking and the longtitude/latitude (can never remember which one) sensor.

hmm I will check the pads out, I don't think the discs are warpped,

Last edited:
Similar thing happened to me in a SL55AMG, coming up to a roundabout doing about 90 (sorry officer) started to brake and nothing, managed to slow the car down to about 50 and go round the roundabout like an F1 driver, luckily nothing coming. Next day car was sent back to Mercedes for a complete braking analysis. Turned out dodgy ABS sensor. Could have been far worse than it was, and it was pretty bad.

I was going to suggest ABS sensors/wheel speed sensor I think the same thing happened to a member called Alpine in his A3 Ill see If I can find the thread.

Any way of turning ABS off before you get to have it checked out? Would rather have a car with no ABS than a car with too much ABS!

The link I posted suggests pulling the fuse for the ABS as it fails safe, the idea being better to have it off than it reading intermittantly giving readings all over the place.

You did say on new tyres are they brand new? Its very common for them to take a couple of hundred miles to bed in and clear mould release agents. I have had this on new tyres several times.

Tyres just 6 weeks old, after I put them on the ABS kicks in once in a while but today just didn't stop.

not sure of the next step.

Wow, that sounds like a lucky escape. Can you please update us once you get it sorted so we know what the problem was. I'd like to get mine checked out to make sure it's not going to happen to me. Take care in the meantime!

Check all your tyre pressures John, did the esp light come on or was it that the brakes didn't bite?

howdy sandip, the brakes did bite as the ABS came on!!??

ABS shudder and vibration through pedal, just went across the giveaway line

Funny this but the same thing happened to my missus yesterday in the S3 but unfortunatly for us she **** ended the car in front leving me with a split bumper and a nice bill for the repairs to the other partys car. She said the brakes just didnt stop her in time, i drove it last night and it seemed fine though. :(

all abs does it PUSH the pedal up when you enter a skid, it then releases when the wheels all spin at the same rate again.

unless your ABS kicked in and did not turn off, (ie you felt the pedal come up and you couldnt push it down) you've got a problem somewhere else.

if you want to turn the abs off, you can pull the 2 30 amp fuses out that are to the right (when facing car) that are on top of the battery, leave the one on the left as this control the air con, fans and water pump.

you've either got crap discs / pads / tyres or air in your brake lines, you could also have a broken / faulty brake servo, this aids by multiplying the force of your foot (try using your brakes when the engine is off to see what i mean!)

Last edited by a moderator:
have you recently had a wheel bearing?

git my wheel bearing done, and car wdnt stop, scare dme shitless, mechanic had damaged the abs sensor so it gt fuked, ****** scary, just replace the sensor, erease codes and it will be fine