Trackday didn't go well !!!

Hammy999

Reaction score
Did the first trackday since fitting the lastest set of mods (hybrid turbo, FMIC etc) last trackday was when the wheel came off on the way home 4 months ago has taken nearly that long to get the car back and upgraded. So was looking forward to this one as was a trackday in the morning followed by a Time Attack for the afternoon. All was going well sighting laps good did 3 hot laps to see how the car felt again all good gave everything chance to cool down. Next set of laps got to lap 3 oil temp all good ish 110.
Then started to go wrong car wouldn't pull on boost couldn't find the problem so thought best get the car home and back to the garage while it was still running. A whole 6 laps of a trackday not great.
Findings the n75 pipe had burst like a banger so we replaced that (I thought that's not to bad didn't take long to find easy fix happy days) took it for a run still not pulling on boost poo not such an easy fix then!! Left the car with the garage phone call from them.
car must have over boosted HEAT ++ melted 2 spark plugs tips and shattered the ceramics. Camera in the engine doesn't show any damage and car is running good again. Thank god for forged internal, as hopefully I have dodged a massive and expensive bullet....

Plan is to fit a EGT sensor/gauge with alarm and boost gauge , not just rely on the liquid gauge.

I ran a Clio 172 cup as a track/everyday car before the S3 and never had any problems managed the ring without difficulty (the car not me) but seem plagued with problems or just bad luck with S3 however it is tuned more that the Clio was.

Role on the next trackday !!!

Jesus! Must have been toasty :s maybe you should get your fuelling looked at because there must be far more air than fuel in the engine to reach those kind of temperatures :S

Or fit Water methanol injection to keep it cooler

Ben

Fueling was fine when the map was done a couple of weeks ago, the log shows it boosted to 2.5 bar the map is set at 1.5 bar limit. Does sound like I am going to have to do something more.

That must have been some serious heat mate. Get an EGT gauge like you said. Only issue with the older non wide band cars is they don't have the Protection features of a wide band car.

Good luck with it.

Water-Methanol Injection would be my first mod then mate. Obviously temps are getting ridiculous in the combustion chamber so something needs to be done about it if fuelling/ignition timing can't be adjusted. Where did you have it mapped if you don't mind me asking? Also what fuel do you run it on?

How long was a lap? How much heat does a hybrid turbo generate?? I've done 6laps+ in a session at CastleCoombe, Rockingham and Bedford Autodrome on standard intercoolers and Stage1 map, no problems.

Water-Methanol Injection would be my first mod then mate. Obviously temps are getting ridiculous in the combustion chamber so something needs to be done about it if fuelling/ignition timing can't be adjusted. Where did you have it mapped if you don't mind me asking? Also what fuel do you run it on?

Mapping was done by Viper Tuning. The fuel is simlar to shell v-power just mixed on the Island to be a little stronger!!

How long was a lap? How much heat does a hybrid turbo generate?? I've done 6laps+ in a session at CastleCoombe, Rockingham and Bedford Autodrome on standard intercoolers and Stage1 map, no problems.
It is only 1.7 miles long however I had just done a run across the mountain course of the TT circuit which is 17 mile but left it 20 mins before the start of the trackday so thought it would have cooled down

I recon with a good WMI setup with those boost levels it'll be making more than 310 bhp ;)

the 2.5bar is prob the cause.
an alarm for boost over a certain pressure would be a good idea.
As you say I wasn't expecting it to especially as it is set to 1.5 but am guessing it didn't need to be there for long to do the damage.

I recon with a good WMI setup with those boost levels it'll be making more than 310 bhp ;)
That would be the upside although was keeping it conservative for drivability and longevity. However longevity might be out the window now though. Thanks for the WMI link looks good, just more money not sure it will ever end!!!

Reactions: Benjiman46
How do you know it was 2.5bar? Ecu only reads 22.5psi you reckon it's 35psi... So vagcom will only show max of 2540mbar. If you have a narrow band ecu then you run a huge risk if it's not tuned properly of running lean, and regardless of mapping I doubt , in fact almost certain your injectors will never fuel for 35psi and will run lean without fail.
Did your pipe blow between the n75 and actuator? If so then the car will Definately over boost especially as imagine you have an uprated actuator as well, then a spike of 35 psi is possible and deadly!

Reactions: Benjiman46
How do you know it was 2.5bar? Ecu only reads 22.5psi you reckon it's 35psi... So vagcom will only show max of 2540mbar. If you have a narrow band ecu then you run a huge risk if it's not tuned properly of running lean, and regardless of mapping I doubt , in fact almost certain your injectors will never fuel for 35psi and will run lean without fail.
Did your pipe blow between the n75 and actuator? If so then the car will Definately over boost especially as imagine you have an uprated actuator as well, then a spike of 35 psi is possible and deadly!

That was the reply from the garage when they logged it however even though it is a narrowband ECU it has been upgraded to a 1Mb chip not sure if that makes any difference in this case. It is running an updated actuator 0.8 I think the garage did say the wastage seemed a lot stiffer though. To be honest I have a little knowledge but it doesn't take long to get out of my comfort zone.

Impossible to log over 22.5psi unless you have a 3rd party logger. 1mb chip on your ecu will make no difference .
Well I have to say I think you've been lucky, you could of easily melted a piston.

What does a 3rd party logger look like? I know when it was mapped we used a slave ECU and then loaded the map onto mine.

I managed to melt a plug previously on mine and that was on bosch's same as bill iirc

Sorry to hear about your luck mate

The plugs hadn't been updated most they would have been were NGK platinum. I know we discussed using a cooler plug but as the car is used for daily driving as much as fun, we were worried they would coke up to quickly.

Denso's on Bill's when they shattered... hence the question :)

If the ceramics shattered I'll give you three guesses where its gone....

Bills turbine after it happened to him for reference...
iphone-pictures-290709%20100.jpg

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty that is a worry which is why I said in the beginning hopefully dodged a bullet. The turbo is spinning up fine and pulling well without any obvious noise difference from before. But I am concerned that my turbo looks like that now.