thermostat prob???

A3tell

Reaction score
i had my water pump changed a few months ago (when it was warm) so had my stat changed too, now the car wont get anywhere near full temp!! it barely gets off 70! and now with the cold weather its a ****** nighmare getting any heat on short journey's!
the thing is, it will get to temp if i leave it running at a standstill, but as soon as i start driving it drops back down again!!! any ideas????
could it be that the stat isnt situated correctly??? or did they use an aftermarket one that doesnt fit right?? any help would be greatly received!!
p.s also mpg is ****!

How good are the heaters in the car? Does the needle ever reach 90 and drop down very quickly to 70? If the answers are a) Rubbish and b) Nope, it never goes above 70, it's your stat...

heating works ok, obviously takes a while to warm up, but it can get pretty warm on long journeys, and the only time it reach's 90 is when its hot weather or if i leave running for a while, but if i am driving a steady pace, it slowly drops down over about 5-10 mins, depending on weather. have already changed the temp sensor, unless the new pump is uber effetive, something is wrong somewhere.

I have the exact same problems... Ive changed the temp sensor and that made no difference, and i bought a new stat last week, i just need to get around to fitting it.

This seems to be occuring a lot after people say that they have had their water pump changed during the cambelt change??

i did get my garage to plug in their hand held computer, to take a few readings, and the temp was saying what it did on the gauge!!! exact readings let it get to 90, and it was reading 90, them i took it for a little blast, came back and the gauge was reading about 75, they plugged back in and the reading was 75............ so the sensor isnt the problem, may have to get an oem stat and get that fitted and see if it works!

yep its stereotypical failed stat symptoms.

I had it recently after fitting a new pump and stat, and upon removal found a small piece of plastic wedged in the stat!

It's the stat had the same as you got a new stat and it sits at 90 all day long now.

stat is located underneath the inlet manifold, on the left side of the block behind the alternator.
its a bit of a pain to get to, but if you have the right tools its only really a 20min job

I have the right stat and the right tools... Im just waiting for the right weather lol.

im gonna do mine once the snows gone, anyone have a part number for the stat? or am i better off getting it from eurocarparts or vwspares type sites?

Got mine from audi £25ish can't find the part no sorry

mines all done now, turns out that the rubber gasket was crimped whilst being installed, so was letting the water through the whole time! replaced stat anyway.
so take care when you guys do yours!!

Stat part number is 050121113C picked one up from Audi the other day as mine is doing the same, just got to fit it.
Make sure you get a new o-ring for it too, thermostat o-ring is 038121119B.

Just one thing to add in addition to that guide - if you remove the two electrical connectors from the alternator, you get much better access to the thermostat housing bottom bolt :)