Sandips crackle grey engine bits (pic heavy)

Sandip

Reaction score
Did some spraying over the weekend so i thought i'd post pictures up of the results. Surprisingly very easy to do!! Also got rid of the charcoal canister so the pipe going up from the throttle body has now gone!

P3070242.jpg

P3070243.jpg

P3070244.jpg

P3070248.jpg

P3070249.jpg

P3070250.jpg

P3070251.jpg

P3070252.jpg

P3070254.jpg

P3070255.jpg

P3070256.jpg

P3070261.jpg

I'll be getting rid off that horrible heat wrap material that covers the chargepipe hose and replacing it with some foil tape and i'll be making the home for the filter a little nicer...then i'll try n find some more i can do!!

Spot on mate that looks mint. I'm doing my rocker cover and inlet mani in matte black this weekend so I'll stick some pics up.

I like the look of your modded air box to take the cone filter. Can you put up some more picks please. Oh and get yourself a black tip man ;)

Looks great altho you forgot to mask off the line were the dip stick is...Can see the over spray..

Sandip, have you blanked off the hose that comes off the top of the inlet mani? In pic number 9 you can see it the best. It's the hose on top of the throttle body thats meant to go up through that gap in the engine cover.

Looks great altho you forgot to mask off the line were the dip stick is...Can see the over spray..

I've sprayed the whole dipstick tube bud, there ain't a speck of over spray anywhere :)

You can have a good nosey if you get to any shows this year, if you spot overspray i'll gie you a tenner:happy:

Sandip, have you blanked off the hose that comes off the top of the inlet mani? In pic number 9 you can see it the best. It's the hose on top of the throttle body thats meant to go up through that gap in the engine cover.

Yep, i removed the charcoal canister so there was no point in keeping it there, it only got in the way when i was cleaning stuff.....

Quite easy to do, although i am getting the odd fault code popping up for emissions, this will get sorted when i get the map done

Yep, i removed the charcoal canister so there was no point in keeping it there, it only got in the way when i was cleaning stuff.....

Quite easy to do, although i am getting the odd fault code popping up for emissions, this will get sorted when i get the map done

Ahhh that'll explain it. I didn't spot that was missing as you had your water bottle cover on. I have now noticed you've painter your water bottle caps ;)

Will try and get some better quality pictures up. I'll get some of the charcoal canister removed, the filter thing ain't finished, needs some modifying so the filter sits more flat. I'll probably finish that when i get the B5 TIP (in black) :)

Looking good mate, something different yet stylish.

Looks neat Sandip, i like that! :) What do you mean you removed the charcoal canister?? What's that? lol

Looks nice Sandip, Troopa I think the charcoal canister is the black box next the the washer bottle it makes the engine "tick" more!

Nice one Sandip, I loved your car in the first place!
Interesting job on the airbox too, looks alot better than my cable tie!

Nice one Sandip, I loved your car in the first place!
Interesting job on the airbox too, looks alot better than my cable tie!

There is nothing wrong with the cable tie!! It gives the 'used and abused' look.... :eyebrows:

looks good sandip in the pics, but i think its one of those that looks awesome in the flesh, i will look forward to seeing it pal.

What did you do with the fuel tank vent line if you removed the charcoal can?

Just left it open in the engine bay :)

Nah......i have ran the line down into the grommet what the charcoal canister used, it's vented into the arch and i'e siliconed it so no fumes can enter back into the bay, will put pictures up when i can

Why did you remove the charcoal can? Do you not need it? Any advantages in removing it?

I got rid of it mainly because i wanted to tidy up my engine bay, as for advantages i wouldn't say there were any unless you have any splits in the pipe going to the throttle or the pipe going to the tip. Just 2 lesser chances of getting unmetered air :)

Did a little bit more, got rid of the material heat shield thingy and got some heat resistant foil tape. Also took some more images of the charcoal canister section and neuspeed filter. This still needs completing........

P3150262.jpg

P3150263.jpg

P3150264.jpg

P3150265.jpg

P3150266.jpg

P3150267.jpg

P3150268.jpg

P3150269.jpg

P3150270.jpg

P3150271.jpg

P3150272.jpg

looks good,
i know the foil is practical, but it looks like i could unwrap it and find a sandwich of some sort lol

Sorry mate dont like the foil at all, or the air box, it looks like the filter is suffocated...
ive been looking at this :HEAT BARRIER SHIELD RADIANT ALUMINIZED 20"x36" # 14051 on eBay (end time 11-Apr-11 16:04:08 BST)
coupled with some stainless tie wraps?
sorry to be negative,,

It's ok Dave, constructive critism is always good!

The airbox is temporary until i get the 3"tip and i think i'll get some of that heat barrier stuff along with the stainless tie wraps, just didn't fancy leaving the chargepipe to turbo hose open to the heat from the manifold

If it's a forge one it's made of nomex and specifically designed to with stand the heat, and Ive ripped the fabric stuff on mine and it seems fine at the mo. But every little helps! It looks kinda out of place in an otherwise fantastic bay.

It's ok Dave, constructive critism is always good!

The airbox is temporary until i get the 3"tip and i think i'll get some of that heat barrier stuff along with the stainless tie wraps, just didn't fancy leaving the chargepipe to turbo hose open to the heat from the manifold
Yes its quite expensive, there are some cheaper ones on now ive had another look, or what about getting it in a roll 2" thick?

If it's a forge one it's made of nomex and specifically designed to with stand the heat, and Ive ripped the fabric stuff on mine and it seems fine at the mo. But every little helps! It looks kinda out of place in an otherwise fantastic bay.

Fair comment, I'll remove the foil when i get in :)

Doesnt matter if its a bit off topic when its something you are excited about:yes: This is a bit off topic as well my B5 TIP should be here tomorrow and then RR Saturday:arco:

Doesnt matter if its a bit off topic when its something you are excited about:yes: This is a bit off topic as well my B5 TIP should be here tomorrow and then RR Saturday:arco:

What map have you got bud??

I've owned my car for 5yrs and it's always run on the lean side, will be nice to finally get a map that'll have it fuelling how it should, want to see what difference the JBS manifold makes too

I dont know what map I have... A man in Stokesley near were I live in Middlesbrough done it called BigFish Tuning he used to prepare rally cars.I think its a generic one..... My friend who has a Porsche garage says he gets them off a man in Turkey,dont know how true it is. Thats why I want to get it on Rolling Road on Saturday make sure everything is as it should be