AGU Inlet manifold question

S3-SiB

Reaction score
Crazy question, but is there any other wider port inlet manifolds than the ones on the AGU that face the passengers side? As the AGU is the only engine I am aware that has wider ports on the inlet, as I would like to have the TB on the other side (as AGU faces drivers side for the TB), like on the s3's and ibiza's for my new FMIC setup.

I understand there will be a problem with the throttle body, but I don't mind getting/making adapter for it to fit as well as mount for the cable.

Thanks in advance!

Depends how good you are at fabricating/welding, you could chop the AGU mani up and face it to the drivers side, then weld it back up.

Would it be that easy though (my knowledge of welding is very small) as you would need to then cut it at an angle to make it sit level/flat otherwise it would poke up, not sure whether it will catch the bonnet either if it was just flipped over.

Tbh mate, if you did go down the chop shop route you'd need to buy a drivers side facing mani, apy,bam,amk etc, cut the runners of both mani's and weld the plenum off the apy,bam,amk mani onto the agu runners.

A lot of work, you'd be better off just getting a drivers side facing mani and gettin the runners gasket matched to you largeport head.

Cheers for that, its worth the consideration, my old man said its a lot of work as he use to weld but in his old age he can no longer be asked to do anything. Any ideas on what your saying and cost?

Other option is maybe custom fabricated inlets, but I am not sure how much more that would cost as this is more of a budget project and I don't want to spend huge amounts of money.

Aftermarket inlet's are not cheap mate, usualy £300-£400 upwards.

To chop shop your own mani, depends, id say £150-£200 for the work alone, then you've got the cost of the parts.

You best bet will tobe just buy a drivers facing mani and get it gasket matched. I've got a s3 and im having a spare s3 mani ive got laying around gasket matched and main plenum polished, along with fitting a r32 tb that im have port matched aswell.

Thanks for that, not as bad as I thought will have to have a chat at my local engineers, they are currently building a time-attack CTR. Whats the gains on the gasket matching, I thought the gains where not huge unless you are planning a high powered setup. I am only looking at a k04 or a k03s-hybrid setup just to get it to 260bhp mark.

A bit of topic, any idea on the turbo inlet size of a k04-02x? I know on a k03 its a 50mm...

Like you said, the gains wont be massive but im planning on going hybrid anyway.

A few seat leon guys have done it and reported better throttle response etc, im hoping to gain better throttle response and to hopefully allow the engine a bit more breathing space, should hopefully give a nice roar with the R32 TB :).

Sounds good, mines more of a budget build. Well budget is not the correct word as its still a fair bob, but not as crazy as some of the builds which I do love, just not got that amount of cash.

Thanks for the advice. Need to see how big the inlet is on a k04 turbo, any idea on that?

Brilliant, exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for all the help and advice you have supplied, better than the lads on the golf forums!

No worries mate, were all here for the same reason :).

Would luv to see how you get on with that mate.

I was considering doing as discussed above, however instead of welding the two together, using suitable size silicone hose to join the two parts of the two manifolds - then supporting it using other means than the metalwork.

Two reasons:

1. Not sure how well the material will weld, and it mind end up being one holy hell of a mess.

2. Will help to stop heatsoak up to the plenum as the heat won't be able to simply conduct along the metal.

You could then also produce a nice step from the small port to the large port with a Dremel or the like.

Something along these lines I was thinking:

200701240609vt.jpg

easier to just rethink ur fmic setup mate?

Na, because then all the wires have to be extended for the TB, MAP Sensor, etc etc etc and I think you open yourself up to a world of pain with that.

Plus it would be tighter than a tight thing on toast over the right hand side of the bay with the TB that side.

Like the idea of the silicone joiners welly.

The only thing with porting the runners is youll only be able todo the openings due to obvious restrictions or am i not thinking out box lol.

Like the idea of the silicone joiners welly.

The only thing with porting the runners is youll only be able todo the openings due to obvious restrictions or am i not thinking out box lol.

We shall see..... :eyebrows:

I'd just like a smoother transition from small to large port.

I will be running a AEB head soon and have just got a AEB inlet that i will be chopping up and adding a pre made plenum chamber to that i will add my R32 T/B

You making the plenum chamber yourself? Isnt the aeb inlet manifold a weird design due to it been out of a a4?

That silicone idea seems to interest me strongly, how would you make sure the silicone joints hold as usually you would need a lip on it otherwise the boost would pop it off/out?

Weld a bead round where the silicone joiner would be and use t bolt clamps instead of jubilee clips.

The Volkswagen Sharan has an AGU large port inlet manifold with the throttle body on the other side.

It's pretty much a straight swap. Obviously the wiring and throttle cable need to be re-routed, but that would be easy. Or get some pipes made up like my FMIC setup.

Brilliant to know the sharan has the manifold I want, any idea on part number?

OK, I have done a little digging and found these pictures of the Sharan Inlet Manifold:

wiederneueteile2lt6.jpg

wiederneueteile3rn5.jpg

wiederneueteile5af8.jpg

wiederneueteile4ha6.jpg

1-133-25.gif

The part number is: 06A 133 201 N

If being used, the servo pipe will need to be extended to come to around by the throttle body.

The FPR pipework and DV pipework may also be an issue as there are no small stubs, however I believe there is a suitable stub on the far en of the manifold which may work.

With the DV you could always relocate it to the front using the forge kit, that way you will not need to bring the pipework up from the turbo and back down.

Also any more info on how to do the silicone idea as that seems very tempting, but I don't see how the silicone would hold unless there is a lip (if so how to put a lip on a cast manifold).

looks like the runners are large, but the flange face is small, possiable for machining out?

There's a member on here with that exact same manifold but the one he is running is under a different manufacture's name but same design.

He say's it made a noticeable difference and he hasnt even had the map altered to suit yet.

The sharan one is a good idea, their was one for sale not long ago on seatcupra.net that had been ported by awesome gti, maybe worth gicing them a call.

Anyone have any information on how to the inlet manifold with silicone as I am assuming this is the easiest/cheapest option. Also how would it effect performance as I heard to much silicone can reduce performance?