HELP! Alternator/Battery

s3jmc

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought a 2002 nogaro blue s3 after 5 years of saving and searching...

Had it a week with no probs until today when I was cleaning the cream leather seats (which had 127k worth of dirt on them) and the the battery light came on the dash display with a long 'bleep'

I was listening to the radio at the time but had only been on for about 20mins?!

Now when I turn ignition the battery logo comes up on dash display and it wont start.

Have I run it flat in space of 20 mins?!?!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for this mate,
I've only just bought it but its been sat doing nothing for 3 days?
I've just tried it again and it failed to start, but once id taken keys out I popped the bonnet and the alternator was making a fast ticking noise for quite some time!?
Does this not point to a problem with the alternator itself?
Thanks again

I'd bet on the battery, mines just had a new one after having similar problems to what you describe (after only a few days standing it would fail to crank).

Cheers mate,
I hope it is just battery but does anyone know why the alternator would be making noise even when the keys are out??
thanks

The battery on my van is on it's last legs, 10 minutes listening to the radio kills it pretty much stone dead. They don't last forever, either get a new one or get it tested. problem is anywhere that tests it will tell you it's ****** cos they want to sell you a new one!

if your on a budget most scrap yards will sell you a battery for a tenner. my local one even gives 6mth guarantee with them!