Think I've found a car - opinions?

N4THW

Reaction score
I posted a few times a week or so ago about buying an Audi A3, so far I've been searching a lot and I have a budget of around 3-4k but I've found this recently, it's 1998 but it looks really smart and with that extra money, I can lower it, rs4 wheels and tint it completely..

Audi : Audi A3 1.6

what do you all think?

Cheers, Nath

Looks like a smart car, have you thought about wanting to mod it in the future? you mentioned lowering? would you ever be after more from the engine? if so you could probably find a reasonable 1.8T for the same money which has far more modding potential than the 1.6.
If thats not what your after then that looks like a nice car but if you are wanting to mod or tune the engine i'd seriously think about going for a 1.8t engined A3 IMO.

Example - bit more cash but nice:

2002 AUDI A3 1.8 T Sport 3dr Hatchback

That's the thing, the link from jdas is a newer facelift, is more powerful and is for sale for a fraction more money. If I were you I'd be using the rest of my budget to insure it knowing it would be mega fun compared to the 1.6.

But thats just me, its not meant to be a put down on the 1.6.

Turbo ftw!

(then you can bring it to badger 5 mwahahaha!)

I think if you were to go for the 1.6 and have the option to get a 1.8t I think you would regret it as there is more things you can do to the 1.8t good price to if you ask me!

Looking to modify straight away mate. Not so the engine though - this is my first car and insuring a 1.6 Audi is enough let alone the 1.8t. I'd love to though. But as far as looks go, I'm looking to get it quite low with rs4 alloys and going to tint it all round. Not sure there is really much else I can do without making it a **** heap. S3 bumpers would look cool but I'm more the sorta person to wait and buy the real thing!

I know insurance can be a right pain! So that's fair enough!
If i were you and you were looking to get a 1.8t or an s3 in the next couple of years I'd save spending it on the 1.6.
There's a few things you can do on it but it maybe be worth putting the money aside as the mods won't add anything to the car come the time when you can afford to insure something better. Just my opinion, but good luck with it, hopefully someone who knows 1.6 a3s better can advise on one :)