Miles Per Wheel bearings

JCMCN

Reaction score
My A3 has done done 37,000mls and already requires two wheel bearings!!!!!Anyone else had this problem?

Not had this on my S3 but my previous car was a mk5 Golf GTI . This needed one rear bearing at 40k . I complained at the dealers saying I expected more from a premium motor and the service manager did a £190 job for £110 . That is basically the price of the sealed bearing unit . Probably the same on the A3

Definately a wheel bearing? Did you feel it yourself?

I swore I needed a bearing on my A3 TDI but it turned out to be the crappy tyres I had on the rear which were twisted!

A3 now has 104k on it on original bearings.

S3 (touch wood) doesn't have bearing issues!

Ditto what boydie said.

I swore my A3 needed rear bearings but in fact it was uneven wear on the inner edges of the rear tires, run your hand along the tires inner edge / rolling surface if it feels lumpy i.e one tread down then the next up etc its the tires.

Mike

My A3 also had uneven rear tyre wear. Made a loud droning noise. I could see dark patches on the tyre where it had the uneven wear.

Strange problem but new tyres sorted it straight away.

Definately a wheel bearing? Did you feel it yourself?

I swore I needed a bearing on my A3 TDI but it turned out to be the crappy tyres I had on the rear which were twisted!

A3 now has 104k on it on original bearings.

S3 (touch wood) doesn't have bearing issues!

Same happened to me, i thought i had a bearing gone on the back but found out the new tire that had been put on by the garage was a cheap one and it hadn't been balanced cause a vibration between 60-70 mph

Wheel bearings should last the life of the car. A few reasons for bearing failure,

- Serious abuse at high speed (temperature), or low speed (VERY uneven roads)
- Poor fitting at new
- Surface defects within the races or on rollers
- Poor lubrication at manufacture
- ingress of water or dirt (seals may have failed

37K is not alot of miles for a bearing to fail, or be showing signs of serious wear. Just make sure your not being ripped off.

Check tyres first, you shouldnt need wheel bearings at 37k!

If the bearings or shot you'll hear a loud noise which increases with speed

Put new Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on it January, done 9000mls and already one has gone completely, others OK. Put new one on OSR, noice over past week got worse so drove into tyre place. They jacked car up and freewheeled OSR & OSF both groaning so both bearings gone!! tyres still OK. With Michelin being top of range I wouldn't expect the tyres to be at fault. My guess would be bearings too tight at manufacture

had my a3 for 3 years and put 2 wheel bearings on already.

not sure if i need another one soon