iPhone 4

Ash187

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A couple of months ago the day before my little sisters wedding i managed to do this:

DSCN2470.jpg

on the same day my uncle did this for me:

2e74ce62.jpg

So i dropped my iPhone 4 and the top glass shattered! the LCD was perfect and the phone operated fine so i started looking into replacing the top glass...
Apple said that it would cost me £140 to replace the device as they dont replace the screens and accidental damage is not covered by warranty.
Insurance company said I have to send the phone to them and it could take up to 2 weeks for them to give the phone back... thats absolutely useless as the sim won't fit in any other phone!

iPhone 4 screens consist of the LCD and top glass as one piece stuck together and its not worth trying to get them seperate as they are glued together. So last week i started looking around and found that I can get a replacement screen with LCD for £30!

I ordered it with all the screwdrivers and started repairing my own iPhone 4:
DSCN2460.jpg

DSCN2472.jpg

it took me just under 2 hours to do it making sure i didnt loose a screw but once done, it looked great and turned on as normal (the line on the screen is from my camera)

DSCN2475.jpg

now after testing the phone i noticed that the proximity sensor wasnt working properly so i took it apart again and checked the connections, put it back together and all was looking good...

the next day i noticed i cannot take pictures using the front camera and that the GPS wasn't locking on properly :(
after taking the phone apart several times i couldn't get the front camera back on... It turns out its a known issue and happens on random iPhone 4s once serviced... now i didnt know what else to do with it and didnt want to pour money into it so i booked myself into the Genius Bar at the local Apple store.

So went in to the Apple store and waited around for a 'Genius' to talk to me as it was kind of busy... finally got served and after 5 mins and a having to weirdly draw my signature on a ipod touch with my finger i walked out with a brand new iPhone 4 :)

Thank you Apple and thank the 'Genius' that checked the phone before giving me a new one! :wub:

Last edited:
haha, that's mint! I got a nice scratch down the front of mine a few weeks back when I came off my mountain bike, but luckily it's only a scratch, so i'll just live with it.

Can't fault Apple, there customer service is second to none.

Apple are usually pretty sharp in everything they do.

Yea, but you'd also think the 'genius' would have done a little digging around to check that it hadn't been molested first. You'd think.

Plus, there's no evidence to show a new phone. Who believes him? Not me!!!!!!

And in all my days of iPhone use I don't recall that screen.

You're not the only one, I've had a few friends who went back to Apple about a cracked front screen on their iphone4's, and they replaced it with a new one FOC, so long as it was under 12 months old, but you could only do it once, and they would log your details.

Sorry guys my emails havent been working today so didn't see the replies...

the reason why my one says iphone is because i jailbroke it and set the boot screen to fade from teh apple logo to the word iphone. its all available on Cydia :)

There is a new phone but as my BB has a cracked screen too i dont have anything to take a pic of the iphone right now.. i will however get a short vid of the look on my phone to show you how customisable a jailbroken iphone can be!

Sorry guys my emails havent been working today so didn't see the replies...

the reason why my one says iphone is because i jailbroke it and set the boot screen to fade from teh apple logo to the word iphone. its all available on Cydia :)

There is a new phone but as my BB has a cracked screen too i dont have anything to take a pic of the iphone right now.. i will however get a short vid of the look on my phone to show you how customisable a jailbroken iphone can be!

Mine has angry birds shooting across the screen on boot up!

I can use my phone to make and receive calls. Magic.

jailbroken iphone 4 + home network + remote server = watch endless amounts of movies anywhere with 3g or wifi connection! Cydia is ace if you know how to use it properly.

nice one on getting a new replacement ash...i would agree, apple have the best customer service.

despite these returned products they are still richer than US govt :laugh:

Mine used to be jailbroken but then I updated to 5.0beta and regret it now. I jailbroke this, but it's a tethered jail break which doesn't work too well on a beta as it crashes sometimes and then I'm stuck with a useless phone unless I happen to be next to my computer. :(

I can't wait for the official ios5 release and then hopefully an untethered jailbreak.

4.3.3 is the way for now... although not all jailbroken tweeks work well with it as they changed some stuff on 4.3
liked my 4.2.1 but thats gone as the new unit had 4.3.3 preinstalled on it... lucky as its the last os that you can currently do untethered jailbreaks on...