RNS-E install

Have any of you guys added bluetooth handsfree? I've got a parrot kit, but there isn't a lot of room behind the rns-e for more cables....

I will probably end up adding the bluetooth option as I do like oem! I removed my Parrot mki9200 and my xcarlink ipod kit when I fitted the RNS, God only knows how I managed to get all that behind the glovebox!

Anyway,a picture as promised...

IMG_8166.jpg

I wish I hadn't been so hasty snapping off the ally trim from the bottom of the RNS as this probably would of fit perfectly between the piano black incert and the top of the nav. If anyone is about to do the conversion,get a T6 torx bit,and remove the ally trim from the nav,don't force it off in a rush of excitement like I did!

The aluminium trim is too small for the top - I did take it off carefully with a torx screwdriver, but alas, it was no use! Best bet is to go with what Rob has suggested.

Sorry - feeling a bit chavy today - how about red neon string in the gap! :hubbahubba:

Seriously - I've been wanting to do the RNS-E upgrade since I got my S3 but I haven't had the knowledge or balls to actually get it done.

I have just taken my Symphony II out and I have CAN-H & CAN-L. So I guess this means I only need to trace back the GALA and tap into it for the non-GPS speed signal - if I want it.

I haven't ordered an RNS-E yet - i am looking for one. I've spent about an hour googling - looking for a definitive answer to whether or not I can use the media version of the RNS-E in the S3 8L?
Is it down to the facia not being the right shape or is there some electronical magic that will make it fail?

I have Bose - so I would just need to get the appropriate loom from Kufatec?

Am I right in thinking only the 193 variety of the RNS-E work with the Audi Music Interface (AMI)?

Thanks, Liam

I wondered the same thing about the "media" version. I'm 99% sure you cannot because the media version can't have the firmware rolled back to 650 which is required to code the unit to A6 in order to work in our S3's.-I think that's roughly correct.

Go on the Kufatec site,it's asks you if you have Bose,a changer etc so you'd be pretty special to get it wrong.

AMI i know nothing about I'm afraid.

Just get on and do it :)

Hi how we doin? First time posting on the forum.iv bought an runs-e with the intention of fitting it in my s3 8l 2003, was wondering if anyone has a guide for fitting it?also the one I've bought is the q model with 2012 maps is this goin to be ok? Any help would be much appreciated

Welcome EW86,I think Q will be fine,as I have T version running fine.Think you need software version 0650 or something like that in order for you to be able to code it correctly though,although I believe that can be sorted with vagcom. Do you have a double din cage already,if not I have one for sale. Contact Vrbob,he has a terrific guide on the install.

Welcome EW86,I think Q will be fine,as I have T version running fine.Think you need software version 0650 or something like that in order for you to be able to code it correctly though,although I believe that can be sorted with vagcom. Do you have a double din cage already,if not I have one for sale. Contact Vrbob,he has a terrific guide on the install.

i thnk i have a double din cage, would tht house the original tape / cd player?as the car has Bose system do I need to buy this bundle pack from kufatec?also how did u adapt the fascia iv seen people using a dremmel on here but I don't own one of these unfortunately,this is the bit thts worrying me the most.thanks again

Don't worry about not having a dremmel, I used a hack saw :salute:. It was scary, but I used the base of the sat nav as my guide and let the hack saw rest against that so I could ensure I got a straightish line. It may have taken off slightly more than others, but not noticeable.

I've got vrob's guides so if you ping me a pm I can email them over to you.

pre face lift doesnt have can bus so you will need to get some sort of canbus emulator.

iv messaged vrbob and he's goin to send me the guide, fingers crossed it all goes to plan.cheers

bob my email isn't lettin me send emails,just to let u know I got the guides, thanks for tht.il post how I get on..hopefully get started at the wkend

Hi everyone. My first post on here. I'm interested in putting an rns e or something similar in my 2001 S3. I've read on here that the A4 one's are the easiest to make fit. I've had my eye on this on Ebay. AUDI A4 / S4 7" GPS SAT NAV DVD MP3 iPOD BLUETOOTH DIGITAL TV DVB *NEW UK* | eBay Was just wondering if this would be as easy to fit because I want the bluetooth, TV etc. Any help/Advice would be much appreciated before I dive in and buy it. Cheers Skot.

Yes I know it's not mate. As I say I want one with tv and bluetooth phone connectivity already on it. Was just wondering how hard it would be to install this in my s3? Anyone? It's got a symphony II and none Bose in now if that helps!!

Oh fair enough - I've put the wrong end of the stick down now! ;)

You might need a special loom to drive the Bose. Wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to pipe up! They'll be along soon.

Well as its for an A4 you will have to trim it to fit your car as the A4 shape is different to the 8L (we have to trim the RNS-E units too).

It will be just like fitting any aftermarket stereo to your car so no reason it wont work so if you want all those features in one package then yeah it can be done but of course it wont talk to your dash like the RNS-E does to display directions etc.

RNS-E can have bluetooth and mutimedia etc but they are seperate modules and can be expensive.

Cheers Bob. That's what I was hoping. Now I'll just have to find the right adaptor to make it plug and play if that's possible. Cheers for your help. Skot.

HI there guys

My name is Anton Richards

I am new to this forum, and i have just sold a 99 a3 TDI and purchased a 2002 S3 8L.

Now i want to apologise if this question has already been asked, and i know how anooying it can be to keep telling people the same thing, but i have been trying to find this information for a while as i planned on doing it to the TDI but never got round to it.

I want to fit the RNS-D satnav unit to my car.

Now my S3 already has satnav, but the in dashboard trip computer one, that is really bad and doesnt provide any usefull information.

So i want to know what is needed to fit the RNS-D unit to my car. Now i have tried to research as much as i can, and i know from my girlfriends mini, that manufacturer standard satnav runs off of a disc located in the boot/glove compartment?

So as i already have the other satnav which runs from a disc in my boot, will the RNS-D unit work of the same disc player?

Ive found a few units on ebay and other sites ranging from £170-£350 depending on what is included.

Can anyone help me in purchasing the right parts and actually figuring out whether i have the single din or double din and whether the unit can be fitted to Either of double or single din.

kind regards

Anton

hi i have got a audi s3 2002 face lift with symphony 2 stereo and i want to change to an rns-e i have read up about it loads and found this the best information so far i have been on Kufatec website and seen the cable i need it around £70 but have found some on ebay for £40 with gps antenior thrown in im buying a second hand rns-e for 300 but comes with no cables so need pointing in the right direction of what to buy with trying to keep the costs down so if the ebay ones will work ill order them
any help would be great and also could some one email my the fitting instructions please
windy2851@aol.com

Hi guys.

I have just bought a late 2003 Noggy Blue S3 for madam as a platform to upgrade like I did with her Leon Cupra R and I have a spare RNS-E from my RS6 that I want to fit as I NHN fitted the latest gen RNS-E in to mine instead.

I see that everyone mentions using the A4 version but is that just because the A6 RNS-E units go for stupid money? I know that the A4 units come with the silver trim that has to be removed, which makes me think that the A6 unit is potentially a better fit?

Also, I can't remember if my other unit has coding for the A3 but I guess I had better ask NHN since he still has it! ;).

Thanks,

Nick.

I've just searched the net and someone has fitted this to their prefacelift!!! Is there any reason why it shouldn't work?

Just to confir, ive researched and found out that my car has the single din, concert II system. So i know ill need at least a double din cage??. Ive read a few threads about the heater having to be changed as well? but all those posts seem to be about the a4 or a6.....so can anyone tell me if the sizes are all slightly different in all 3 models of car (a3, a4, a6). And can my heater controls just move stright down and i get rid of the holding tray underneath it?

I have found many pictures on google with the set up that i want, and with the heater controls i have, so it must be possible. Can anyone help me out with what parts i need to change from single to double din?

Yes it would need either trimming down to fit or a dd version to be as per factory, you need an installer or doing your self mate?

I have :) PM me if you're interested.

Hi,

I have a S3 8L 2001 facelift. Is there any issue in installing rns-e led from A4? as I understood you guys just installed the lcd version. Can you give me you opinion? For the moment my HU is a audi concert 2 with can already connected.

Thanks for the help

eexray