First start after fitting new turbo.

markthenewt

Reaction score
Hi.

I have put my new turbo on.

Just got the pipes and brackets to put back on now.

Do I leave the oil pipe off that goes just above the oil filter and check there that the oil is circulating properly?

Also any other things to do before first starting it.

What fuse do I pull to stop it starting up?

Thanks.

You need the oil feed pipe that is above the oil filter connected, otherwise the oil wont get to the turbo.

You can inject some oil into the oil feed hole on the turbo so theres some in there ready. I did this, aswell as leaving the oil feed at the turbo end slightly slack. I then disconnected the main ecu relay, (j271, located in the little black box at the rear rhs of the bay, above the abs pump). This stops the engine firing but allows you to spin the engine over. You can then check that there is a little oil seapage at the turbo which proves oils getting there. Then when your happy its all span up and primed, you can tighten up the oil feed, reconnect the relay and fire it up!

easier to pull the injector wires off as access is easy.

You could wind till you get oil out of the pipe, or assuming you primed the turbo, it should be fine to give it a wind with connectors off to give it a headstart and then go for it.

All of this is assuming you know the feed pipes are clean and the oil pump works. How did the old turbo fail?

You need the oil feed pipe that is above the oil filter connected, otherwise the oil wont get to the turbo.

You can inject some oil into the oil feed hole on the turbo so theres some in there ready. I did this, aswell as leaving the oil feed at the turbo end slightly slack. I then disconnected the main ecu relay, (j271, located in the little black box at the rear rhs of the bay, above the abs pump). This stops the engine firing but allows you to spin the engine over. You can then check that there is a little oil seapage at the turbo which proves oils getting there. Then when your happy its all span up and primed, you can tighten up the oil feed, reconnect the relay and fire it up!

I never filled the turbo with oil also I can't get to the oil feed line now as the manifold and exhaust is all connected up and there is no way of being able to loosen the oil feed pipe now.

If the oil is coming out of the hole above the oil filter when turned over then once I connect that pipe I am hoping it will then push the oil into the turbo oil pipe and fill the turbo?

I have now hit another problem, I brought my turbo from a guy breaking an AUM golf and he told me it was a ko3s so I brought it but I didn't notice untill now when connecting the top charge pipe that the one he has sold me is different at the top turbo tube.

If you look the pic in this link with the 2 turbo's my Ko3s looks like the one at the top with the red bung in but the one he sold me looks like the one underneath.
k03s-k03.jpg

I think this might be a ko3 and not a ko3s but I have read all AUM golfs come with a ko3s turbo.

Please tell me it will be a Ko3s.

Last edited by a moderator:
easier to pull the injector wires off as access is easy.

You could wind till you get oil out of the pipe, or assuming you primed the turbo, it should be fine to give it a wind with connectors off to give it a headstart and then go for it.

All of this is assuming you know the feed pipes are clean and the oil pump works. How did the old turbo fail?

The old turbo was whistling bad and was told this is because the turbo blades are bent/buckled. The seals had gone on it and it was smoking really bad, took it off and there was lots of in and out play on the shaft.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone? Could really do with some help on this one, had enough trouble with it as it is and it's getting me down not being able to drive it or get about?

If all you are worried about is making sure oil is getting around before first start then just do as Mark has suggested... pull off the injector plugs and turn the engine over on the starter... I have done this on all the cars I have worked on in the past...

Should be noted that the oil feed to the turbo is high pressure and 'if' you disconnect it to check oil is coming out while cranking it will come out at some speed and volume...

If you have reason to believe the oil feed is blocked then you should replace the pipe....

<tuffty/>

Yeah Dave, pretty sure all K03s's had silencer... not seen one without as yet anyways :)

K03 has 12 blades and K03s has 8 so the pic above shows a K03s at the top and a K03 at the bottom...

<tuffty/>

Yeah the one at the top in the pic you posted is a silenced K03s thats all,, thats why it looks different ... they are available in both silenced and unsilenced the way to check it's a K03s is to count the blades as already mentioned,, don't worry about the silencer

The reason for leaving the oil feed pipe slightly slack as stated and not disconnected is so there is a tiny bit of seapage, not full on oil loss or spray. Just the choice i made to ensure that oil was definately getting there. Maybes a bit pedantic but looking after the turbo was key for me. Especially as it was me who made the oil feed pipe. Not that i didnt trust that but checking and rechecking is better than having to buy another turbo, and Certainly didnt want to have to do that for £1k+!!

Ive never even thought of pulling the injector plugs off though, just came natural to choose the one action selection instead of four. Good info though...!

Dudes :D

The thing I worried about the most was that I had been sold a K03 and not a K03s thinking I would have to take it off send back and find another and go through doing it all again..

I nipped into R-tec after work and told them I had a been sold a turbo from an AUM golf and asked if it was KO3s and they said yeah, I said but mine does not have a silencer and they said there are 3 different Versions of a Ko3s turbo...

I took the TIP of and checked the amount of blades like you guys said and it has 8... Result, it is a Ko3s thank funk.

I took the injector connections off and just left the oil feed pipe above the oil filter loose, turned it over a few times until oil came from the top of the oil filter housing then tightened it back up.

All is dandy now :D

Tommorows task after work is drain oil again and put my new oil pick up pipe on and my new sump.

Happy days!!!

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help.