Audi A3 8l dying after first start.

Nomz

Reaction score
Hi people, its been a long time since I've been on here audi has been behaving as it should be but a few weeks back it started to give me a serious problem which is
Basically the car starts ok when I turn the key however it dies straight away. I have to keep my foot on accelerator for a few minutes to keep the revs up then car is ok however idle set usually at 1ish, it also sounds like it's not running on all cylinders (Scooby sound) I've changed the spark plugs coil pack and also leads but still the problem persists. Once the car has warmed up it is perfectly fine and can put my foot down with out any problems, however if I turn the car off for an hour at least and return then the problem returns. It's really embarrassing when going starting the car as I have to rev it to 3 - 4 revs to keep the engine from dying again.

Please can some one help me with this, I've had the car for 8 years and this is the first time it's given me problems.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

best option would be to run a scan first, be it at the dealer or a pvt individual with vcds. and see what errors are thrown up

also unplug the maf sensor and see if it idles on first start, if it does then u will need a new maf

Hi, thank you for your kind response. I have already removed the MAF sensor and have started car but it just dies straight away, I have to keep my foot on the gas and keep revving it to prevent it from dying. As soon as the car has warmed up to 70 degrees it then starts to idle on its own and I don't need to keep pressing the accelerator. It's only on cold starts it gives me problems but is perfectly fine when car has warmed up.

I will take it again to a garage and tell them to check it properly as last time they told me it could be the coil pack but i changed this along with spark plugs but still its giving me problems.

I have also searched this forum and found someone who had the exact same problem so I PM'd him but still waiting for a response.

Thanks.

best option would be to run a scan first, be it at the dealer or a pvt individual with vcds. and see what errors are thrown up

also unplug the maf sensor and see if it idles on first start, if it does then u will need a new maf