Removing HID bulbs - reverting to stock...

pangsterA3

Reaction score
Website
www.paullynch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
When I bought my car the previous owner had fitted some HID bulbs - and to be fair they seem to be white as opposed to blue (I'd guess c4300k - c5000k) - and are aimed properly (they just passed an mot) and have a very clear and distinct cut off through the projector (no glare above the cut off) - I also get no error messages so he must have at least bought a semi decent kit - but reading some threads around problems caused on here has bumped this up my priorities a bit (i.e. frying the wiper motor etc - although not sure if this was only on newer cars 8P??)

The problem I have is that I want to convert the headlights back to stock. I've had a quick look and it looks as though the kit he has used is just plug and play - am I right in thinking that I can just buy 2 new headlight bulbs and then remove the hid harness, ballasts and bulbs and replace with the headlight bulbs? Do you need to remove the headlights to fit the bulbs? (i had to on a previous car because access was extremely limited!! LOL!).

;)

Hey Bud, don't have an 8L, but yes you should be able just to remove all the HID kit bits without removing your lights, re-connect your factory wiring (from bulb holder to factory electrics) pop in a pair of new bulbs and get everything back to standard. You may also have to cover up any holes that may have been drilled in the backs of the light covers with a rubber grommit or similar. Here's a guide I found for fitting a HID kit to an 8L, so might give you some good info on doing the reverse. :) x

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/121176-how-fitting-hid-kit-a3-8l-pic-heavy.html

Reactions: pangsterA3
Hey Bud, don't have an 8L, but yes you should be able just to remove all the HID kit bits without removing your lights, re-connect your factory wiring (from bulb holder to factory electrics) pop in a pair of new bulbs and get everything back to standard. You may also have to cover up any holes that may have been drilled in the backs of the light covers with a rubber grommit or similar. Here's a guide I found for fitting a HID kit to an 8L, so might give you some good info on doing the reverse. :) x

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/121176-how-fitting-hid-kit-a3-8l-pic-heavy.html

Paullie you're a star!!! - thanks for this -exactly what I was looking for... (looks fairly straight forward?... ) - famous last words! LOL!

Hey no probs Bud, very happy to help! :wub: x

Reactions: pangsterA3
The wiper motor problem was only on 8Ps. I don't see why you'd want to remove HIDs if they've passed an MOT and are seemingly OK...

The wiper motor problem was only on 8Ps. I don't see why you'd want to remove HIDs if they've passed an MOT and are seemingly OK...

I think the upcoming changes in the MOT regs may have something to do with the removal of the HID's TBH. If a car with HID's fitted doesn't have self leveling suspension and headlight washers after the new regs are brought in at the end of this year, it will be an MOT failure.

I think the upcoming changes in the MOT regs may have something to do with the removal of the HID's TBH. If a car with HID's fitted doesn't have self leveling suspension and headlight washers after the new regs are brought in at the end of this year, it will be an MOT failure.
I thought that cars without washers and self-levellers were already failures with a HID kid?

why take em off? ull only regret it when your on a country road and ur thinkin sh*t i cant see

I thought that cars without washers and self-levellers were already failures with a HID kid?

At the moment HID's are kind of a grey area as far as MOT's and the law is concerned. Some people with HID kits fitted (without washers and levelers) have been able to pass MOT's so long as the beam pattern isn't scattered all over the place, especially if the bulbs are fitted in projector lenses and not reflectors. So far it has depended on the individual MOT tester, some will let HID's through if the beam pattern and aim is good and others will fail them. After the change of regs comes into force it will be a lot more black and white, ..HID's with washers and levelers = PASS. Otherwise will definitely mean a fail. :)

At the moment HID's are kind of a grey area as far as MOT's and the law is concerned. Some people with HID kits fitted (without washers and levelers) have been able to pass MOT's so long as the beam pattern isn't scattered all over the place, especially if the bulbs are fitted in projector lenses and not reflectors. So far it has depended on the individual MOT tester, some will let HID's through if the beam pattern and aim is good and others will fail them. After the change of regs comes into force it will be a lot more black and white, ..HID's with washers and levelers = PASS. Otherwise will definitely mean a fail. :)

It's going to be such a hassle changing over the ballasts wiring once a year :(

I've recently fitted hids to the misses's A3. Would never go back, there amazing. Pattern is perfect. At worst I might have to change back for the mot day. No big deal.
Fitted 6K's. There awesome.

so what happened before the marvellous invention of HID's??? - did we all barrel roll into fields in balls of flames because we couldn't see where we were going??.. :think::lmfao:

No we all drove around with High beams and Fog lights on in the lanes because 8L low beam is terrible and useless. Low beam HID is all that is needed with the 8L as long as you have projectors! No more need for fog lights :D

why take em off? ull only regret it when your on a country road and ur thinkin sh*t i cant see

couple of reasons for taking them off.. consideration for fellow road users probably being the main one.. although mine are aimed correctly and don't have any glare (and my car is kept clean) - we're coming into the winter months now and when you get all the crap coming off the road it WILL diffuse the light on the headlights and WILL cause glare and potentially dazzle oncoming traffic (my car isn't fitted with headlight washers)... the second is obviously the MOT issue (which is pretty self explanatory). I also live in a city - which has pretty adequate street lighting and is where I do the majority of my driving - I don't feel I need to supplement the lighting in the streets with some "look at me" HIDs - when decent halogen headlight bulbs will suffice. I personally also think retro fitted HIDS are a little chavvy (almost as bad as aftermarket angel eyes or DLR lights)..

No we all drove around with High beams and Fog lights on in the lanes because 8L low beam is terrible and useless. Low beam HID is all that is needed with the 8L as long as you have projectors! No more need for fog lights :D

Surely that's what your high beams are designed for? - LOL!.. most rally cars seem to manage ok without HIDs...

Surely that's what your high beams are designed for? - LOL!.. most rally cars seem to manage ok without HIDs...

Most rally cars are fitted with huge spotlamps for night rallys and they dont have cars coming in the opposite direction while trying to turn a sharp bend in the lanes with big rocks sticking out of the foot of the hedges ready to take out your complete tyre and suspension. I'll stick with the chavy HID which is really effective out in the countryside at night. Personal preference though, HID is good for where there is no street lights