Got my winter clean sorted! Pics Inside

DaveA3

Audi A-Trizzle!
Reaction score
Hey all,

As above got my winter clean sorted! Here are some of my favourite pics. loads more but all blurry and sh!t now i see why photographers take 100's of photos and only pick a few to feature.

My favourite pic
2011-10-22174916.jpg

Sexy wheels nice and clean!

2011-10-22180906.jpg

The side shot

2011-10-22174944.jpg

Classic Reflection Shot lol

2011-10-22175001.jpg

To clean i used:

2 Buckets and wooly mitts
meguiars nxt gen softwash
autoglym super resin polish
autoglym extra gloss protection
finished with an extra layer of collinite 845 insulator wax

for wheels i used chemical guys wheel guard and an added layer of collinite 845 insulator wax

I'm going to add a couple more layers over the next few weeks on the wheels as i don't wanna change them through winter. wish me luck guys. Salt doesn't scare me its more sliding to curbs and i think id actually try if i curbed these wheels.

Looking good mate, one thing though...... clear or smoked side repeaters ;)

I'd not take the risk with the wheels personally though mate!. Get some steels or snotters to stick on there. I put mine on a couple of years ago and I've not taken them off yet :D

Looking good there, I love the wheels, but I would be really tempted to change them for the winter, better safe than sorry.:slapped:

well the main thing is at work the car is in a multi storey car park. at home its in a multi storey carpark (apartment parking) so its covered at all times except when im out and about.

hmm i dunno. i do have my standard wheels still at home i guess they could go on.

Thanks for the comments also :) helps make the hard work worthwhile lol

When mines back after surgery its going to get the full pre winter treatment :)

Yea looking sweet mate!,i had polished wheels on my last car a3 8l,kept them on through the winter was fine but did clean them every 3 days!,only good point if putting standards on is not cleaning wheels in snow,and smaller width wheels are better in snow!,fair play though as it is now looks sweet!

cheers lads much appreciated.

oh Tom i was thinkin about side repeaters earlier black ones. nice cheap mod. They easy to pop out?

Looking good there,
I wouldnt run those wheels in winter to be honest,
I would want to snow foam them every day after work. Which is just too much trouble.

damn u guys are putting me off risking it now. might be for the better perhaps.

would clean and wax them every weekend would be ok surely

damn u guys are putting me off risking it now. might be for the better perhaps.

would clean and wax them every weekend would be ok surely
Would be ok,but there will always be bits of the wheel that you cant get to (clean),which will corrode!,i work with wheels tyres,and after the past two years of bad weather,we must get 30 percent of punctures that come in are actualy (rim reseal),corroded wheels so any wheel you want to keep looking nice,don't let the evil grit salt see them!

Would be ok,but there will always be bits of the wheel that you cant get to (clean),which will corrode!,i work with wheels tyres,and after the past two years of bad weather,we must get 30 percent of punctures that come in are actualy (rim reseal),corroded wheels so any wheel you want to keep looking nice,don't let the evil grit salt see them!

thanks guess ill have to reconsider then. cheers!

Powdercoated / painted wheel tend to survive fine through winter, mine have gotten black to the point where I couldn't even rub the ****e off with a brush, but a good polish back has seem them good again.

Not sure polished rims would survive though, even if they're laquered. Once the moisture gets under a stone chip in the laquer they're going to die pretty fast.

I can't fit standard wheels because my brakes are too big, so I've just bought some cheapy 17's for winter this year.

Car looks amazing Dave! very shiney :)

hmm would my standard wheels fit over s3 brakes?

im worried the car will be too low aswell with those on lol

thanks for the comments also :)

yea standard 16's will clear S3 brakes no trouble. it's close, but a miss is a miss!

I don't think rolling radius is that different really, and you're not that low either, so I wouldn't worry too much Dave!

be a shame to ruin the polished rims in the salt though :(

If my plan pays off, my winter look should be pretty cool :)

yea standard 16's will clear S3 brakes no trouble. it's close, but a miss is a miss!

I don't think rolling radius is that different really, and you're not that low either, so I wouldn't worry too much Dave!

be a shame to ruin the polished rims in the salt though :(

If my plan pays off, my winter look should be pretty cool :)

yeh i raised the front because of scrubbing and never lowered it again after i put arbs on lol been like that for ages.

I may have to stick those standards on then dunno what the tyres are like cant really afford to replace them all either to be honest :/

hmm would my standard wheels fit over s3 brakes?

im worried the car will be too low aswell with those on lol

thanks for the comments also :)

Yarp

21042011134.jpg

21042011135.jpg

Been running mine for a while and they're fine

Hey all,

As above got my winter clean sorted! Here are some of my favourite pics. loads more but all blurry and sh!t now i see why photographers take 100's of photos and only pick a few to feature.

My favourite pic
2011-10-22174916.jpg

Sexy wheels nice and clean!

2011-10-22180906.jpg

The side shot

2011-10-22174944.jpg

Classic Reflection Shot lol

2011-10-22175001.jpg

To clean i used:

2 Buckets and wooly mitts
meguiars nxt gen softwash
autoglym super resin polish
autoglym extra gloss protection
finished with an extra layer of collinite 845 insulator wax

for wheels i used chemical guys wheel guard and an added layer of collinite 845 insulator wax

I'm going to add a couple more layers over the next few weeks on the wheels as i don't wanna change them through winter. wish me luck guys. Salt doesn't scare me its more sliding to curbs and i think id actually try if i curbed these wheels.

Lovely car dave, would be shame to ruin those wheels with salt from the roads.

Another bonus of the smaller oem wheels for winter is cheaper winter tyres! 18s can be a bit pricey, though i'm just about to get my hands on some used (5mm left) Pirelli Sottozero for my R32 winter alloys - should be pretty much unstoppable even in the kind of winter weather we get up here!

Car looks great btw.

Thanks guys ill have a look and see what sort of prices they are these days