My S3 Has Spat Its Dummy Out!!!

Eddy_s3

Reaction score
Well me S3 is broke :3sadwalk: Started gettin a misfire yesterday and today on my way home from work driving in a que of traffic fru a village when out of the blue TING TING BANG hitting the underside of my car and smoke everywhere! Pulled up along with the car behing me to find the front of his car covered in out :ohmy: The bloke was fine, was expecting him to kick off but he only pulled over to be nebby. Looked under my car to find oil dripping from everywhere then i looked at the back of the engine to see a big hole in the block. Not 100% sure what has happend but from what it sounded like and looked like is a conrod has snapped and gone straight through the block. Was too dark to look at it today so going to be sunday before i get time to look at it an the day.

New engine job by the looks of it tho. APY engine code if anyone has one lying around haha

oh dear. feel very sorry for you mate.
on a positive note, time to upgrade!
pretty much any 1.8t block will do! so theres plenty about. just alot of work required

and can i ask how you were driving it at the time? was it in high gear and floored from low revs?

No, as i said i was driving through a village following a few cars and followed by a few cars so was driving as everyone else was driving. think i was in 4th at the time just started to climb a small bank them boom!! Engine has gone.

So the likes of a golf gti 1.8 turbo block would work with the s3 pistons and crank and then my head should bolt straight on from my s3 engine onto the golf block? Anyone no where i will get a bare block? Nowt much on ebay and can only find one APY engine on here for sale

No, as i said i was driving through a village following a few cars and followed by a few cars so was driving as everyone else was driving. think i was in 4th at the time just started to climb a small bank them boom!! Engine has gone.

So the likes of a golf gti 1.8 turbo block would work with the s3 pistons and crank and then my head should bolt straight on from my s3 engine onto the golf block? Anyone no where i will get a bare block? Nowt much on ebay and can only find one APY engine on here for sale
there are two types of block, you'l need a later one, cant remember the code, but pretty much all the later 1.8t's are the block you'l need. ANY 1.8t will do. its internals, head and hardware that seperates everything, the blocks are identical. A golf gti one would be fine. obv you'l need a new set of rods.
id just scour ebay, and any VAG breakers and do some haggling. theres alot of engines on ebay. search the engine codes in ebay e.g AGU engine.
heres a list:http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/74563-1-8t-info-sheet.html

i believe you'l need any internal water pump block.

pistons, crank, and head on your current APY are all interchangeable.

Jeez sorry to hear,was it remapped ?

So the likes of this block should do the job then a new set of rods and swap all other bits off my s3 engine and job done?

Golf VW audi seat skoda - 1.8t 20v bare engine block AGU | eBay

Might be worth doing as at least then i no evenry thing is new and i should be able to do it myself aswell so can make sude everything is done right. even the AGU engines are cheap, might be worth buying a full engine Then will come with pistons and rods ect or does the s3 ave different pistons?

Am new to the german game as i have lived with french cars for the past 4 and abit years :yahoo:

So the likes of this block should do the job then a new set of rods and swap all other bits off my s3 engine and job done?

Golf VW audi seat skoda - 1.8t 20v bare engine block AGU | eBay

Might be worth doing as at least then i no evenry thing is new and i should be able to do it myself aswell so can make sude everything is done right. even the AGU engines are cheap, might be worth buying a full engine Then will come with pistons and rods ect or does the s3 ave different pistons?

Am new to the german game as i have lived with french cars for the past 4 and abit years :yahoo:
that block is perfect. and dam cheap too!
if your going to buy an AGU engine then you can keep the internals of that in it, they have same rods with 20mm wrist pins but slightly higher compression pistons, which can be a performance advantage, and also the large port head!

my opinion, if you've got the money, buy an AGU engine, transfer the turbo, manifolds etc etc, and get it mapped for the large port with all your mods, and you'l have one heck of a stage 2 s3!!

Edit: If you do take the above AGU engine route, put forged rods in it, and if you get adventurous with boost you might see closer to 300bhp than many have

Last edited:
if your going to buy an AGU engine then you can keep the internals of that in it, they have same rods with 20mm wrist pins but slightly higher compression pistons, which can be a performance advantage, and also the large port head!

my opinion, if you've got the money, buy an AGU engine, transfer the turbo, manifolds etc etc, and get it mapped for the large port with all your mods, and you'l have one heck of a stage 2 s3!!

Edit: If you do take the above AGU engine route, put forged rods in it, and if you get adventurous with boost you might see closer to 300bhp than many have

so would I need to fit the S3 cams or anything? Could be worth getting the AGU engine as I already have the K04 turbo and manifold off the s3 and if its going to be pushing that much power then its worth just buying that engine as its like £500 cheaper. Wouldnt I need the ecu and stuff aswell tho or could I just use my ecu?

Gutted for you Eddy, I had exactly the same thing happen to me about 10 months ago, bad miss fire and then bang, hole in back of engine also.
Be interesting to see what you find when you split the engine to see if you can find the cause, I never had the opportunity.
How many miles had your car done and what torque were you running ??

I've always been miffed and a little paranoid since, even with a new lump

Last edited:
Many many moons ago one of my old bosses had this happen on his 968 porker, he was well in 3 figures speed wise at the time big mess. Dont remember if his warranty covered it car was like 9 months old at the time but hey he sacked me 6 months later anyway.

From what it looks like its cylinder 2. I will know mone on sunday when am off work, will also get some pics put up of the damage. Good job I have a spare car or I would have been screwed for work thismorning :(

Essflee you may be right, I was getting a slight misfire, I ordered new plugs aswell. Not turned up yet tho

Ouch gutted for you bud. Was the car missfiring at the time of the blow out?

Sounds like the torque pull of starting to climb up hill whilst in 4th was the final straw for your rods. My money would be cylinder 2 that was causing your missfiring also....

As mentioned getting a full engine would be the best bit. Set of rods if you can stretch to them would ensure this wont happen again and then the lump would be able to handle all that a stage 2 remap could chuck at it.

Gis a shout if you need a hand matey ;)

Have to agree with this... 210/225 blocks are supposed to be a tad stronger in the internal webbing but I have not seen the blocks side by side to confirm and Bill does ok in his race car with the Ibiza Cupra block so meh..

Block wise if it were me I would just change the rods in the AGU block and use it as is keeping the AGU pistons/rings etc... (providing its a good un of course) as they all have forged cranks etc... you could of course just use the original rods but seeing as yours went the same way as wellys and its all gonna be out....

With the head.... personally I would strip it, get the exhaust guides replaced then rebuild using the AGU valves and springs as yours may be a mess and use the S3 cams... take a judgement call on the followers looking at the condition of both sets but if you use the S3 ones use the set...

this is personal preference as tbh you can just bolt in the complete engine as is and it will work...

<tuffty/>

You can have my APY complete engine from my S3 for £400 quid mate
Thats minus the big turbo set-up mind...(manifold,turbo,downpipe etc) but obviously yours will bolt straight on
Let me know if interested!

Alot less work involved then stripping etc, just engine out, engine in job!

if my engine goes ill be buying an agu for defo go down that route . really feel for you tbh dare not stage2 mine after all these rod stories

You can have my APY complete engine from my S3 for £400 quid mate
Thats minus the big turbo set-up mind...(manifold,turbo,downpipe etc) but obviously yours will bolt straight on
Let me know if interested!

Alot less work involved then stripping etc, just engine out, engine in job!

Very interested mate. Whats the milage on the engine and can you guarantee me that the engine is a good runner as well? just dont want to put an engine in i dont no anything abut for it not to last long. Also where are you from? i am based in newcastle.

What work is involved in fitting the AGU engine? basically fit my manifolds and turbo then map and away i go?

Factor in rods and youll be sweet :)

Al pop down on monday night mate if you want and have a bit crack about it.

Thanks everyone :)

What work is involved in fitting the AGU engine? basically fit my manifolds and turbo then map and away i go?

Al pop down on monday night mate if you want and have a bit crack about it.

Aye mate no worries ;)

Right my saxo should hopefully sell this week so i am looking to get an engine at the weekend or early next week, s3matty if you can get in touch with your number i will give you a call about your APY engine. I want to get this sorted and running again asap before it starts getting too wet and cold out side as i dont have a garage to do my work in. Gona go take a look at the damage this afternoon :(

best of luck with it. not a great time of year AT ALL!
just get as many mates on it as possible. engine swaps can be done quickly

Haha i wouldnt trust half my mates to change a light bulb never mind help change my engine. Once i get an engine i would probs be able to get in done within a week, just trying to sort an engine out in the main problem at the minute :(

I have been thinking about it but i dont no how much work is involved and i dont want to go spending £1000 on getting it back on the road and having to change rods heads ect, would rather just get an engine, fit my manifolds and turbo plug in and go.
I dont no what needs doing with the AGU engine to get it working? what about the ecu and loom? what would i need ect...

as far as i know, when you swap all your bits onto the AGU, your current ecu should plug in and work fine. it is a bit more work though, especially if you want to change rods. and the remap will prob need to be changed to suit the large port head

I dont want to change anything, all i want is to buy a decent full engine, fit my inlet and exhaust manifolds, turbo, pipes ect put it in and away, i dont want to be pulling engines apart, changine bits ect haha. i dont mind getting another map as i recon the one on my car is crap anyway. if its a straight engine for engine then i might just go for the AGU lump

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm in need of an engine, from what I have read a AGU engine will fit right in with no problems at all. So the engine you get just strip everything off of it so it's bear then just fit everything on the it, 1 thing you better check first is the water pump, I not sure as the weather the APY is internal or external.

I read on the 1.8t list that the water pumps can be internal & external, am I wrong?

Only engine i have found is from down the country, 5hours away, i may be able to get a AGU one closer if all it will need is a new map for it to work. Yes both APY and AGU engines have 20m pistons with internal water pumps

Only engine i have found is from down the country, 5hours away, i may be able to get a AGU one closer if all it will need is a new map for it to work. Yes both APY and AGU engines have 20m pistons with internal water pumps
it will still run fine without the map adjusted. but i remeber one fella having done it that said his car felt totally different, sluggish.
its just worth having the higher compression and large port head from a performance perspective.

Is that s3matty? I'm after that 1 as well, lol! I'm only 1hr away from him plus I'm after the diff from him as well. Have a look on eBay as well coz I've found a few AGU's for £300, it's doing my head in driving my wife's polo around. Don't get me wrong it's nippy but not what I'm use to!!

no your right. and the block used in an APY car and AGU car are both internal

Spot on! I'm new to the world of S3's although not to VAG's but still I'm learning every day, my eyes are bleeding from reading all the stickies etc over the weekend!

Av still got my spare saxo vts but its for sale and might be gone this week so need the s3 doing asap. I dont want a slugish car, it was running well before hand once i fitted the new N75