2.0 TDI 140 bad vibration

biggles195

Reaction score
I've noticed a bad vibration/drumming coming from the car when accelerating in 4th 5th and 6th gear. It happens around the same rev range (just over 2000 rpm up to 2400rpm) in each gear.

I don't have any strange noises at idle or when I start the car, clutch seems fine and it runs sweet as a nut the rest of the time. There seems to be no vibration below or above those revs and you can just about feel it when the car is stationary and you rev the engine and gently increase the engins speed, seems to be at it's worst when the engins is pulling though in the higher gears and it really drums in the car.

Engine seem firmly mounted and I can't feel any slack in the engine mounts. Engine has done 90,000 mls, any suggestions anyone?

Thanks, for the responce, I did look at this as a possible cause, I had read all the threads on the electical loom fault but most of them refer to the 2.0 TDI 170, sounds like it's worth trying as a first step (cheaper than engine mounts or clutch!). I had a similar fault with an A2 TDI but that manifested itself as a definite misfire and did need a loom, not the booming virbration I have now.

I'll update the thread on Saturday when I go down to TPS to order one.

Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow, would have thought out of balance would be related to road speed not engine speed but the thread you highlighted does seem to have loads of people with very similar sounding issues so it may just be a quirk of particular engine speed highlighting a problem with the prop.

Checked on price of loom (didn't buy one yet) and they are £68.57 + vat minus whatever discount you get at TPS

out of interest, prices for propshaft couplings/brgs are (exlusive of vat)

Rear £209.91
Front £65.55
Centre £89.43

Checked all the parts of the prop and they "look" fine, going to take it off and give it a better inspection when I can get the time before buying any new parts.