136 Tdi avant totally crap in the snow and ice!!!

mojo555

Reaction score
The wife had to leave our car at work on Friday night as she couldn't get it up the steep drive to get out (the 2010 S3 we had last year did it with ease) Our car is a 136 Tdi avant front wheel drive...booo so wish i had got the quattro!!! I have been to audi today to look at swapping but the cost to change is just too much. so was wondering about winter tyres, what are peoples thoughts and experiences, do you think it would help the situatuion or do i still need the quattro plus winter tyres???

Too add to this i couldn't get off my parents estate earlier today and have never struggled with any of my past cars, the snow hasnt even been that bad!!

Thanks for any advice

Hi Mojo,

In terms of performance, various tests prove that winter tyres perform better in temperatures below 7°c. When it comes to snow and ice, they do perform better due to their design. So, if you need winter tyres you might want to consider the type of driving you do in winter, and where you live and if you're likely to experience lots of snow and low temperatures. If you have been struggling on hills and having to leave you car in various places, then it would be worth the investment!

Hope this helps you out ;)

for really slipery situations mojo, it always helps to turn the esp off! otherwise the traction control just kicks in and you end up getting nowhere fast! its like flogging a dead horse! turn the esp off to allow a bit wheel spin, and keep the revs low and the torque will keep you right!
try it!

Thanks guys....

Tried esp off low revs etc, just not going anywhere!!!

Rezulteo
Live in staffordshire so not really loads of snow but just where the Mrs works it is up bank then down bank to her work so she got stranded on friday when we had the snow...would really like to get quattro but not really the best idea to swap just at the mo

priced some up at audi today and they come in at about £1000, if i get these and do seel up next year i am sure that this time next year i could sell for about £700 so not too bad and we can get about this winter..

quattro
quattro
QUATTRO!!!!

remind me why i sold the S3.

Mine was OK last year. Winter tyres help.
101201A4snow2.jpg

Last edited: