sideways steve

Reaction score
Excuse the title !

2001 S3, facelift.

Std Map
Std Induction
N249 Removed
Aftermarket Downpipe and Sport cat
Standard Dump Valve (diverter valve - however have a forge one to replace it with that I removed from my 1.8t A4)

Now my question is this.....

On almost every other car I have owned that has been turbocharged whether standard or modified you have always been able to hear it dumping boost on lift off even when its recirculating like it does on the S3.

On my S3 when I lift off I hear nothing, its silent. You dont even really get much induction noise.

I expected to hear something but it really is quiet, the car seems to be performing as it should, although I feel my boost tails off a bit higher in the rev range but I do have a slight exhaust leak somewhere which could be a factor in this.

I just wondered if other folk running relatively standard S3's are able to hear it dumping on lift off ? Also what is teh stock boost level on the AMK engined S3 ? I have not fitted my bost gauge yet but might get it done at the weekend so would be nice to check it is indeed boosting properly.

I can VCDS log some runs if anyone requires that sort of info but really I just want to check with folk first incase I am just paranoid and this is normal for a stock S3.

You wont really hear anything with the standard airbox arrangement.

I believe you should see around 12psi

No, it's near silent, even when remapped, you can only just about hear the dumping of boost with the stereo off, as the airbox and intake is all sealed up! If you really want the turbo spool up sound and dump noise, then get yourself a Badger5 TIP with a Jetex cone filter! Now my S3 sounds like an Evo5 from the inside!

Yeah Jetex cone filter definately made mine dump louder... a lot louder! :)

well, mine is the bam engine. standard and still has the n249 and I can't hear mine neither.....and that's the way I like it.

Sadly I hear far too many making those ridiculous noises and basically going nowhere ! Especially in London where your forever slowing down to go over bumps or stop/start traffic lights. Wish my car was as fast as rocket and you only heard the sweet sound of tuned exhaust note and see me disappear.

i always thought the idea of owning an audi was to be somewhat subtle lol

you could always get one of these

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Badger 5 Tip loud when you want it to be - i.e when you give it the beans or all the time? On the motorway does it give you a headache lol? I don't mind more loudness but I don't want to be in the same league as the whossing saxo, corsa and nova boys! ;)

Cheers folks, I am not bothered whether it makes the noise or not. I just wanted to be sure that it was not quiet due to something being wrong !

I will be going for the badger 5 TIP and cone filter at some point but for now I am working through sorting all the wee niggly bits that need sorting (like my leaking exhaust) before beginning to do any modifications.

Is the Badger 5 Tip loud when you want it to be - i.e when you give it the beans or all the time? On the motorway does it give you a headache lol? I don't mind more loudness but I don't want to be in the same league as the whossing saxo, corsa and nova boys! ;)

It's only noticeable with the stereo off, with it on and at motorway speeds, it's just as normal, you wouldn't notice it. Not too sure if it's loud on the outside though. It's nowhere near BOV sound levels like Jap cars!

The Badger5 TIP sounds crazy, the spool is like a Dyson hoover! It doesn't have that Halfords induction chav grunt sound at all, all you hear is the spool and then a nice dump from the DV.

i first fitted my jetex alone with my old samco tip that was on, V loud all through the rev range, sucking in babies from the street.
then when i fitted the B5 tip i notice the sucking in babies sound is up until about 3k then it quietens down and its just slight with whistle from the turbo. prob a little quiter at full chat with the less restriction and turbulence in the uniform sized TIP.

nah you will hear nothing from standard map... they sound much different once mapped though. And jetex makes a huge difference

It's only noticeable with the stereo off, with it on and at motorway speeds, it's just as normal, you wouldn't notice it. Not too sure if it's loud on the outside though. It's nowhere near BOV sound levels like Jap cars!

Awesome that's just what I wanted to hear - obv I'm expecting it to be louder and the BOV sound to be noticeable (as it's non existent at the moment) but I don't want my car to sound like a Chav mobile, it's not my thing really. Thanks :)

Panel filters/cone filters, aftermarket tips and remaps will all make the "dump" louder.

Ive got a revo map(25+psi), debaffled turbo boost pipe, forge 007p, forge tip and green panel filter inside a modified airbox. The turbo spool noise is very loud and the dump is noticeable.

Thats a question for you all, especially you Minty... What do you do to modify the air box ? is it drilled out or something ? Ive modified air boxes before on mk2 golf GTI's but couldn't really find any detail about an air box mod for the S3 despite noticing a few folk said that had them !

Thats a question for you all, especially you Minty... What do you do to modify the air box ? is it drilled out or something ? Ive modified air boxes before on mk2 golf GTI's but couldn't really find any detail about an air box mod for the S3 despite noticing a few folk said that had them !

Generally shave out all the fins and other "structures" inside the bottom of the box to smooth it out and drill some 1" dia holes in the bottom half. Works quite well for a free mod :) and if you don't like it you can just cover the holes over ;)

Generally shave out all the fins and other "structures" inside the bottom of the box to smooth it out and drill some 1" dia holes in the bottom half. Works quite well for a free mod :) and if you don't like it you can just cover the holes over ;)

Any particular sides of the bottom part ? In the golf you used to only drill the side closest to the wing. is that the case with the S3 ?

Where ever you want really, the side nearest the wing is a good one and the front (towards the front of the car)

Suspect the other two sides will allow a lot of heat soak.

mine is remapped with a BMC panel filter, samco tip & forge dv its seem loud for a recirulation system (no leaks either)