Front drive Only

S3 Sly

Reaction score
I seem to have the rather common issue of only front wheel drive on my 2000 S3, I have done the usual change filter and oil, new brake switch, checked plug near diff etc. I cycled the pump but could not hear anything, just wondering how noisy the pump is and if it can be heard in car or if you have to be under the car.

I suspect the pump has failed as the car still had it's metal haldex filter fitted, it's done 52k but it's never been changed by the looks of things.

I had the same thing a few months back. Computer said ABS Unit defected! Mine didn't make a funny noise or anything though. I got another ABS unit but it was just the ECU part i needed, everything is good now! I got mine off Ebay, just make sure the one you get has the EXACT same serial number as yours!

I had the same thing a few months back. Computer said ABS Unit defected! Mine didn't make a funny noise or anything though. I got another ABS unit but it was just the ECU part i needed, everything is good now! I got mine off Ebay, just make sure the one you get has the EXACT same serial number as yours!

Think we have our pumps mixed up, I should have said pre-charge. I heard the ABS pump/ECU can also affect it but I suspect the pre-charge pump is at fault...maybe.

Yep cheers. That and every other haldex issue related thread I could find when googled. If I get time I'm going to remove the pump and strip it down, the oil seal fails on the motor shaft and lets oil in to the motor. Assuming it's the pump SKF can supply a seal and I have found a company who can supply brushes if needed.

I'll add some pics of the strip down when it happens.

Cheers.

I thought some years did not have them ?

Maybe I'll go take another look once I've had this brew!

You might be right, I wasn't aware of that :think:

If you're directly under the car looking up at the haldex unit, the strap should be further towards the rear of the car on the passenger side. The strap is about a 12" long cable near the rear diff.

You might be right, I wasn't aware of that :think:

If you're directly under the car looking up at the haldex unit, the strap should be further towards the rear of the car on the passenger side. The strap is about a 12" long cable near the rear diff.

Had a good look but can't see anything, looks like it's bolted to the drive shaft/diff flange in the one in the thread. I'm pretty sure it was the facelift ones that have it, what the difference is I do not know but might make one anyways.

I have a diff, controller and pump coming off ebay so I get to the bottom of it at some point.

Had a good look but can't see anything, looks like it's bolted to the drive shaft/diff flange in the one in the thread. I'm pretty sure it was the facelift ones that have it, what the difference is I do not know but might make one anyways.

I have a diff, controller and pump coming off ebay so I get to the bottom of it at some point.

Hmm, you must have been right then about the earlier models.

You say you cycled the pump, was that with VCDS? Have you got any fault codes relating to the Haldex?

Hmm, you must have been right then about the earlier models.

You say you cycled the pump, was that with VCDS? Have you got any fault codes relating to the Haldex?

Yeah cycled it using my spanking new licensed copy of VCDS lite but never heard it running from inside car, nothing from VCDS other than this for haldex

Address 22: AWD Labels: 02D-900-554.LBL
Controller: 02D 900 554 B
Component: HALDEX LSC ECC 0006
VCID: 1F316BFC8EB3
No fault code found.

And for ABS
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V004
Coding: 18448
Shop #: WSC 06435
VCID: 3E0FB6782979
No fault code found.

Not sure what Labels: Redir Fail! means, read directory fail maybe.