Headlamp washers not working -_-

Benjiman46

R-Tech Terrorist
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've got a 2000 S3 and my headlight washers don't work. It says in the manual that they will work every time you use the windscreen washers, and there is an additional "pumping" sound when the headlights are on and you use the washers... But the jets don't pop out :(

Does anyone know of any quick fixes or known problems?

Regards
Ben

They only work when the lights are on and 3 to 5 secs after you have started using the windscreen washers...

They also don't run if the temp is 5deg or less outside... which it has been :)

<tuffty/>

That explains it then! I've only had the car a week so I'm still getting used to it lol

Cheers pal ^_^

My last audi the pump had split,quick cable tie fixed it,have you checked for any water loss near the drivers side front when you try them?

I don't think there is any water. The front and rear washers work, the headlight washers just don't pop out... I think they're trying to... Because there is another noise when they are supposed to work.

maybe they are frozen shut? run some warm water over the covers? if still no joy i suspect the pump is toast as the pump when operated creates pressure which pushes up the headlamp washers

I'll give it a try... I'll get it in one of the warehouses at work for a while and let it all thaw out lol

You can try prying them out of the bumper with your fingernails. They just work on the pressure of the water in them to lift them out of the bumper. Can just get stuck with road grime if they've not been used in ages.

Mine work under 5 degrees.....

My last audi the pump had split,quick cable tie fixed it,have you checked for any water loss near the drivers side front when you try them?

Mine does this on a full washer tank.

Fill it 1 litre at a time, and it dosnt!, When bumper comes off for FMIC, it's getting fixed!!!

Mine work under 5 degrees.....

You know what... I have no idea where I got that info from so I'll retract it... I have a feeling it was when my washer bottle was getting low... when the low light comes up on the dash they don't work then and I may have confused that with them not working below 5 deg... not difficult for me to get confused and befuddled these days lol..

<tuffty/>

To be honest I actually find mine annoying at times, when you want to give the windscreen a good blast to clear it they pop up and cover the your front and, bonnet and wings in screenwash which then leaves marks all over it LOL The lights are always on up here lately going to and from work as its still quite dark outside so im finding this happens alot !