How to remove the Rear wiper motor.

Legend7

Reaction score
I have removed the 3 10mm nuts which hold the motor in place. However I still can remove the motor. I have also removed the nut which keeps the wiper in place.

Any ideas if there is something else which needs removing???

Probably a silly question, but you have taken the rear wiper off havent you? You only mention removing then nut...

The motor is held in place by the 3 mounting nuts. If you have disconnected the washer fluid hose and electrical connection, and the wiper arm is off, then it should just pull through.

Thats what I thought by taking the nut of the wiper should come off, however it didnt so i have put some WD40 on and will try again tommorow.

Thats what I thought by taking the nut of the wiper should come off, however it didnt so i have put some WD40 on and will try again tommorow.

You need to do a lot of very firm 'waggling' to get it off ! If it won't come off you will need to buy a 'hub puller' or similar so that you can get the forks under the wiper arm and then tighten down on the central spindle.

It will come off eventually !!

It needs wiggled hard to come off.

I also disconnect the hose form the washer bottle to stop any accidental spray into the boot lid.

I had the same issue on a Golf GTI in the end i had to cut the arm off as it would not move with anything. The metal had siezed together

Beeep beeep.

No luck its just not XXXXXXX moving.

I have tried everything to try and get it off and nothing had worked.

I dont want to cut the arm off, what else can be done?

Do you have a replacement motor to go on? If so, there is only one other option I can think of, but you would need a new wiper arm too.

If there is no other way of removing it, then just spinning the wiper arm by hand to ground down the splines would probably enable it to be pulled off. You would need new motor and wiper arm though.

Try taking it to a garage? I dont think they are much more helpful though. Have you really given it a really good yank?

Replacement arms are around £20 or so, or if you are replacing the motor cut the spline under the arm and then you can get the arm in a vice

A really good yank lol I even had a ****** amateur body builder to try and get it off :)

I might have just buy a wiper arm aswell :(

Beeep beeep.

No luck its just not XXXXXXX moving.

I have tried everything to try and get it off and nothing had worked.

I dont want to cut the arm off, what else can be done?

I did mention that you need a hub puller if nothing else worked ! It's like a 'G' cramp with a forked lower arm.

You need to fill up the nut recess (so the nut is submerged) with WD40 and leave it to soak overnight.

Then wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. They always come off eventually if you persist, however much you believe you are not getting anywhere!

This probably wont be much help but I had the same problem with my old car a peugeot 206. I tried everything to get it off, yanked and gripped it in different ways, had other people try etc and it would not / could not come off. I did the WD40 things aswell, no luck.

I went to peugeot to get a replacement part, and mentioned to the guy that I couldnt get it off. He went back into the garage came out with some sort of puller (not sure if correct name, but think it sounds like it) popped it on and it came off straight away. Couldnt believe after trying everything to get it off..... maybe I loosened it for him lol

I have had same issues on number of 8P's, 2 came of after some mighty fun with tools & wd40, but latest venture I had to drill the motor stem out so the wiper arm would come of, the motor was ******** anyway so of no use, so to save the arm, just drilled through middle until arm would come loose & off.

The water scale clogs up the spindle as such & it gets stuck like a weld, really crappy job tbh if its been on a while.

hi chap the piece of kit you need is a wiper arm puller, as shown below

DSCF5453.jpg

DSCF5459.jpg

this is one made by Laser, as you can see simple to use and no chance of breaking the glass as you screw the top down it holds the arm, and forces it free simples............... (note they do come with a thumb screw not a bolt, but my daughters 206 put an end to that, now with the bolt, a little WD40 and its off)

hope this helps

you can buy the puller from most car places or flea bay :)

2008-01-07_145300_bmw3.jpg

Thats a handy tool, only thing is the teet top of the water pipe of the wiper motor isnt that strong, so it may distort the metal & thus be rendered useless, but I'd give it a try for sure :)

i have a small spacer not shown that fits the outer area of the teet so as not to damage it :)

I just had to replace my wiper today and also couldn't get the arm off.
Went to Audi to pick up the new wiper and asked one of the technicians if he could help me get it off (the wiper ;-)
He told me to GENTLY clamp either side of the arm (where it is stuck on the spindle) and GENTLY lever it side to side.

It worked!! I spent about an hour earlier trying to get it off with brute force!