Frustrating. Car pulling to the left.

Dan-Jnr

Reaction score
The S3 has been pulling to the left quite aggressively, its not the camber of the road before anyone mentions that, as Awesome fobbed me off saying it. I have driven on a variety of difference road surfaces and its definitely pulling.

Suspension is standard, all OEM parts, top mounts are LCR.

Recent work that has been done to try fix the problem:

New rear wishbones bushes on front and new top mounts
New pads and discs and all round done at Awesome
Full suspension check for worn or damaged parts, all OK
3 trackings done at Awesome since September 2011.
Wheels balanced and inflated to correct Psi. Checked weekly.
Clutch kit, flywheel, slave cylinder, shaft seal done at VAK Technik
Four wheel alignment done at Audi (results posted below)
Swapped front wheels over and nothing changed, swapped them back.

The steering wheel is straight but I have to hold it ever so slightly to the right so the car drives straight.
The front near side tyre has worn 1mm to 1.5mm (across the tyre) more than the front off side tyre.
The rear is similar but not as much 0.5mm to 1mm across the near side compared to the off side.

I am running out of idea's as to what could be causing the issue.

audi_tracking_before.jpg

audi_tracking_after.jpg

Last edited:
have you thought about having it tracked to the steering rack rather than the wheel position as the wheel might not be on straight??? Im sure someone will be able to shed more light on this, but most garages just go by the wheel placement, but what if the wheel has been removed and is a slight turn out???

Audi did the tracking last and according to their workshop manual they straighten and hold the steering wheel before doing the alignment.

Looks like rear left wheel camber is substantially out, with quite a lot of negative camber. This would normally push the car the other way though which strikes me as odd. Fronts look OK.

Have you considered a binding front brake applying stopping force to the wheel on the left side, and causing pull?

I've got the same problem, I'm giving it into midland VW to have a look next Saturday..

Have u had the tyres checked? I know it sounds silly but u never know, u could change the rear tyres with front and see if u still pull to the left?

Have u had the tyres checked? I know it sounds silly but u never know, u could change the rear tyres with front and see if u still pull to the left?

Thats a good point actually, I had a 'pair' or tyres once made of different compound rubbers, it pulled to the right like a banana!

Or sticky brake piston?

Is there an echo in here... lol.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I had the fronts swapped over and the car still pulled to the left.
The next thing on my list to replace is the front tyres as the Front NS is getting down to 2mm.

I'll do some runs tonight and brake whilst loosely holding the wheel and see what happens.

Awesome and VAG Technik said all brakes components are working OK and not sticking.