80mph speed limit?

Would you like to see the National Speed Limit increased to 80mph?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
So I was listening to the news that an 80mph limit trial might take place along the M42 and M6 motorways, what's your thoughts on it?

Will it be beneficial or a waste of time given the amount of traffic we have on our roads today anyways?

Discuss.

good idea.

to accompany this change they should make motorway driving compulsory in the driving test, that would make 80mph safer.
if there is lots of traffic speeds naturally reduce anyway so i dont see how that would be a factor in the decision.

we've come a long way since 1980's ford fiestas that need a mile to stop, cars are better, more efficient, safer, speed limits need to reflect this

Reactions: Uzzy
I think its a good idea. Motorways are the safest roads anyway.

Cars these days get better mpg at 80 then 70 so itll be more fuel efficient and cars are alot better nowadays (as karl said)

The only problem i see is alot of people cant seem to drive properly these days

I think its a good idea. Also agree with Karl that motorway driving should be compulsory in the driving test. For many its lack of confidence that leads to many accidents with poor judgement and driver errors.

Must admit, you lot should be happy with the limits in the UK. Over here the roads are much slower. Its crazy and there are times I feel it adds to certain types of accidents. Most of the freeways here are 100kph which is about 62mph. There are only a very few that go up to 110kph. Most dual carriegeways are 60 or 70 kph. (70's just under 44mph)

Happy days, there should be a minimum speed as well! I don't think our road infrastructure could support a de-restricted Autobahn style of limits though

...Cars these days get better mpg at 80 then 70 so itll be more fuel efficient...
Not sure I agree with that - my S3 uses at least 10% more fuel @80 than @70.

I agree with the proposal, although would be interested to see what actually happens regarding enforcement etc. given a 70mph limit means an effective 80mph on the road - will 80 limit mean 90mph on the road?

I don't think I'd drive any faster tbh - there is no fun driving fast on a motorway as they are just too busy. Motorway = 70mph for me (ideally on cruise control) and just go with the flow keeping the stress levels down.

In terms of making motorways part of the test - biggest problem is large areas of the country have no motorways - Cornwall, Dorset, Highlands, Norfolk, West & North Wales etc. So you can't really expect people to do a 100 + mile round trip just to get to a motorway.

In addition, there are some multi-lane A roads that are far more dangerous than motorways. Motorways have a much stricter design criteria than A roads (some of which are still following lines set down 100's of years ago as cart tracks). They don't have things like right turns from the offside lane across the other carriageway to side roads, or tractors, JCBs and cyclists.

I think its a good idea, as already said, cars have come a long way since the limits were introduced.

I saw a program recently where the Police even said they wont stop you unless you are doing silly speeds and let 80, 82pm'ers carry on as they were.

So it looks as they are already of that frame of mind, obviously dependant on how good their day has been and how you drive as well.

In terms of making motorways part of the test - biggest problem is large areas of the country have no motorways - Cornwall, Dorset, Highlands, Norfolk, West & North Wales etc. So you can't really expect people to do a 100 + mile round trip just to get to a motorway.

i would have had a round trip of 240+ miles to get to and back from the nearest motorway, and that doesnt include the distance driven on the motorway during the actual teaching/experience time. That would have been an expensive lesson/test.

9/10 of people break the 70mph limit anyways so what's another 10mph difference going to be? Also like Karl said the mpg would be better for most cars as well.

I'm a bit mixed on this, I think it's fair to say most of us drive between 70-80 anyways with little or no issues, plus it's generally accepted that our speedo's overread by a small margin, and trafficcops gives a bit of leeway before they flash the blue lights.

Bringing in the 80mph rule would mean people could do upto 109 before they would go to court and get a ban, or it would just mean 3 points and £60 fine.

Plus cars are definitely more economical at lower speeds, so I can't see how this one would get past the environmental issues the world is dealing with.

I'm for it, but only for the right reasons!

Yes it should be 80,I think the other part would be altered so driving over a ton wouldn't mean just three points.
The current speed limit is sooo dated,I remember being with my Dad in a Talbot Avenger which shook your fillings out going at just 60,no airbags and no seatbelt back then either.

Im all for it especially for someone like me who drives for a living.

I do 560 mile round trip every night in a sprinter, I use the M621 Leeds, M62, M60, M56, M6, M74, M8, A68 and the A1 every night.

I generally do 80, 90mph and when there's not a sussage on the road downhill Ill do 98.

I got cought in Glasgow doing 70 in the 50 bit on th M74 and the officers were brilliant, yes I got 3 points and 60 pound to pay but as a van driver for 14 yrs I concider myself a professional in the field so I had a chat with them about things like speed limits and they were very open and one of the things they did say was......(strathclyde police) The mobile camera vans above the M74 are set at between 80 and 83 mph, i asked about the M6 and they said its out of scotland's boundry but most likely the enforcement will be the same.

I personally think there are bigger issues than speed like people who stay in the middle lane, outside lane and people who don't use indicators when overtaking. Yes higher speeds will make more messy accidents but in my time (over a million miles whoo hoo!) its the people who use the lanes wrong or dont check mirrors who cause the accidents.

I drove at the speed limit all the 560 miles 70's 50's 60's 40's 30's and I was fatigued to hell nearly falling asleep and that's the only time I have felt like that i shouldnt be on the road, going that bit faster keeps me more aleart and awake.

Oh and I have never had or caused an accident in the 14 years not even reversing in tight spaces lol.

Anyway must go get some z's in before my trip (again).

I'm all for this...in fact it should have been introduced years ago.

My job is either working from home or involves 100+ mile city to city drives. In all that time I've tended to set the cruise control at 80-85mph then drive to the flow of the traffic. Increasing the limit won't tempt me to go any faster and I think many people who do the same won't. This kind of speed gets me to where I'm going in a reasonable time and I feel comfortable and safe driving at that speed.

The only times I exceed this is on the way home when traffic is quiet and conditions allow. If I'm late getting to a job I can blame the traffic and if I can get back to see the family a bit sooner then that's what I'm going to do.

My attitude on the motorway is always to expect to encounter some poor driving from the people in front and not get worked up when they pull out without indicating etc. I've done nearly 200,000 miles in 11 yrs in this job without any issues. The police don't bother you doing between 70-85 as long as your driving is okay, i.e. you're not weaving through traffic or look like you're drunk etc.

Middle lane hoggers should be made to take their test again!!!

Happy days, there should be a minimum speed as well!

absolutely correct!
i know that i am not the only one here that regularly "breaks" the speed limit by regularly cruising at 80mph or there abouts!
its safe, and efficient and the boys in blue have often been behind me in marked or unmarked cars and not battered an eyelid at me doing this.
it is the norm!
the absolute danger on our roads (as witnessed today) is people driving too slow!
catching up on old dears with grey hair in silly square cars or young ladies with there noses touching the windscreen with seats in a 90 degree position crawling along oblivious to others are far more of a safety issue in my opinion!
if they increase it, which is good they should definately introduce a minimum speed to give these motorised liabilities a kick up the bum they so deserve!

I'm torn. I don't think the standard of driving in this country is high enough for the limit to be increased.

Given the cuts most Police forces are suffering there won't be enough patrols to catch and deal with the dangerous and poor drivers.

I think we should have major trunk roads with higher limits, like in Germany.

80mph is a good start though. It is the speed most people who work for a living drive at.

isn`t it 80 already :)

if it was 80 people would do 90 etc etc

as for faster speeds being more efficienct 59 mph seems to be the miost efficient in most cars iirc

Good idea I think.

Read a report a few weeks ago where they said the 70mph limit was brought in as cars were unsafe when it was first put in as law. Since then, cars have become loads more safer etc so less risk in relation to putting the limit up to 80

I don't think I'd drive any faster tbh - there is no fun driving fast on a motorway as they are just too busy.
i agree. but it would be nice if it was allowed, sometimes i find myself hovering over 80 and it would be handy if it wasn't into points territory. i think most people wouldnt see it as a chance to start goiing faster. on busy motorways 70-80 is enough really, and its sort of economical whilst still making good progress.

I'm torn. I don't think the standard of driving in this country is high enough for the limit to be increased.
VERY good point james. this is why i said some motorway (or carraigeway experience) should be included in tests/lessons.
i also think at certain ages people should be made to retake tests, say 65ish.
i also think that GP's should take action when they see the health of their patients deteriorating, working with whoever to assess wether people should even be allowed to drive.
minimum speed limits also.

the above are all things that would make roads safer and more efficient, yet they do sod all about it.

Im all for it especially for someone like me who drives for a living.

I do 560 mile round trip every night in a sprinter, I use the M621 Leeds, M62, M60, M56, M6, M74, M8, A68 and the A1 every night.

I generally do 80, 90mph and when there's not a sussage on the road downhill Ill do 98.

I got cought in Glasgow doing 70 in the 50 bit on th M74 and the officers were brilliant, yes I got 3 points and 60 pound to pay but as a van driver for 14 yrs I concider myself a professional in the field so I had a chat with them about things like speed limits and they were very open and one of the things they did say was......(strathclyde police) The mobile camera vans above the M74 are set at between 80 and 83 mph, i asked about the M6 and they said its out of scotland's boundry but most likely the enforcement will be the same.

I personally think there are bigger issues than speed like people who stay in the middle lane, outside lane and people who don't use indicators when overtaking. Yes higher speeds will make more messy accidents but in my time (over a million miles whoo hoo!) its the people who use the lanes wrong or dont check mirrors who cause the accidents.

I drove at the speed limit all the 560 miles 70's 50's 60's 40's 30's and I was fatigued to hell nearly falling asleep and that's the only time I have felt like that i shouldnt be on the road, going that bit faster keeps me more aleart and awake.

Oh and I have never had or caused an accident in the 14 years not even reversing in tight spaces lol.

Anyway must go get some z's in before my trip (again).
You deserve a medal tackling the fkn M62 everyday....:icon_thumright:

I agree middle lane hoggers should be shot. its a nightmare!

I would like speed limits on motorways raised to 100 or above.Trouble is, there are too many dicks on the road that cant drive, are spacially unaware, or just stupid....and thats why i can see the limits being dropped.Theres a few country lanes near me that have dropped from nsl to ****** 40 even though there have been no accidents to wake the dot up.I have a dual carriageway thats a good fast road at 50.I can do more than double that.....you drive to the conditions and what you can see unless a)you drive a school wagon b)you wear a flat cap c) wear a flat cap with big ears d) drive a ford ka e) cant see over the steering wheel.These 'drivers' should be shot.Now.This instant.And my speed awareness course was informative and enjoyable.

You deserve a medal tackling the fkn M62 everyday....:icon_thumright:

Tell me about it 50 mph avrage speed for how long? Cruise controll on the van makes it more bareable though, but again you still get middle laners doing 45 or less! I use road angel as my speedo and have done for 3 years as the speed via gps is more accurate (+/- 1mph) than a real speedo that can be up to -7 mph!
So pscycologicaly doing the avrage speed check with cruise on on road angel as my speedo i feel to be going faster than everyone lol (except the idiots who have no conception of what avrage speed check means and do 90mph till they see the camera then break to 50mph lol)

Never mind just changing the speed limit, the whole book needs a overhaul, the rules of the motorway are pretty well flawless and well set out but there have been that many additions over the years and with modern cars even some un modded vans that can do 118mph! I personally think its time for a massive overhaul, not just for rules but driver enjoyment too, a car is not just a tool.

Do you remember on sundays when the shops would be shut? going for a drive country lanes flying about in safety? How good it was? then they changed the shopping laws and now sunday is just a grooling drive, how many people have been killed or had accidents on a sunday since those changes? and thats not even to do with the rules of the road. See my point? Its not just laws that should be changed, the whole social thing sorronding it needs change too.