Next Upgrade: How to prioritize?

Tricki

Getting into it
Reaction score
Ok, so I've finally sorted out the basics of my 2002 AMK S3, see signature below, and some pics here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...eels-rate-them-if-you-like-2.html#post1552988

I will have some fun just driving it for now, not spending much until late summer. I have several things I want to do then, but it would be nice to get some opinions of what to do first.

First of all; I'm focusing on performance upgrades (from now on at least), not looks or "visual mods". The car is used on twisty, hilly roads, no track in sight, though a trip to Nurburgring is in the pipelines. So, here goes:

I spoke to a local Audi Guru (while he showed me his latest private project - a '93 Audi 100Q, totally stripped and overhauled, poly bushes, ARB's, brakes, KW coilovers, the works and, yes, a whopping 1000 bhp!) and he recommended that I first of all got a Haldex Controller. Which I think makes sense, so I've laid my eyes on the HPA Competition.

But then I read some guide on here about suspension, and found it is not recommended to run H&R lowering springs on OEM dampers like I do (although my dampers are only a few years old, I started to "worry"). So it got me thinking that maybe I should get Bilstein B8's first, and do the rear arb at the same time. Well, I had planned to do both ARB's, 24 front and 22 back, but then I was recommended by another local guru that the thicker ARB's actually put too much strain on the rest of the suspension, and you could risk snapping struts and what have you (his son had done exactly that on his Golf MkV). So I started thinking that 19 mm rear only would do the trick.

After that I've set my eyes on DieselGeek short shifter and a new TIP. Preferably Badger5, but as I'm LHD I have to find out if that will fit (I've asked Badger, and committed to get some pics and measurements to verify. Which I will. Soon).

Summed up (as of now):

1: Haldex Competition Controller
2: B8's and 19mm rear ARB (or both if you think that is recommended, and the local guru should re-evaluate his sons driving style)
3: TIP and short shifter (at the same time since they reside in the same area)

Have I got my priorities straight? Anything else I should put on the list? (Don't say Poly Bushes, I'm not going to bother - to much work...or do I "have to" reconsider that too?)

Any input welcome, valuable input truly appreciated!

I'd put the controller way further down the line and most others will agree. It's not NEEDED its just nice to have really. Other parts you've listed will give you a greater gain in driving than 700quid on a controller would.

I'd put the controller way further down the line and most others will agree. It's not NEEDED its just nice to have really. Other parts you've listed will give you a greater gain in driving than 700quid on a controller would.

Yes, this is something I've read. But according to "my" guy it transforms the car into a go-cart. And bare in mind, I live in Norway and use my car going skiing 4-5 months a year on winter roads.

And then I have to ask you, honest question just to make sure I get the best information, have you tried it, and if so in what conditions?

No need for the controller. Subjective at best. Even in Norway.

I have the blue Haldex controller on my S3 and if you drive on lots of small lanes it makes it a lot more fun drive and from a standing start it's like a rocket.

Never tried it but never even driven an S3 lol. Tbh the S3 will never be a go-kart though, sure can make it handle well but it'll never be nimble and chuckable like a light weight hatch. The billy b8s with good springs, bigger rear arb, adjustable rear arms and a good alignment will make it handle better than a haldex controller I'd imagine. I'm sure S3 owners with that setup will comment with a better opinion than I can imagine up from lack of experience.

I have the blue Haldex controller on my S3 and if you drive on lots of small lanes it makes it a lot more fun drive and from a standing start it's like a rocket.

That's nice, and closer to what I believed. Does it understeer less too?

Never tried it but never even driven an S3 lol. Tbh the S3 will never be a go-kart though, sure can make it handle well but it'll never be nimble and chuckable like a light weight hatch. The billy b8s with good springs, bigger rear arb, adjustable rear arms and a good alignment will make it handle better than a haldex controller I'd imagine. I'm sure S3 owners with that setup will comment with a better opinion than I can imagine up from lack of experience.

Ok, thanks for being truthful, appreciate it :icon_thumright:
Got the adjustable arms and alignment sorted, no worries there.
And bare in mind: I'm going to do it all, this is about in what order, not either/or really.

Just going from what has been echoed on here many many times before :)

Just going from what has been echoed on here many many times before :)

Echoes are spooky -

If I'm a director and this thread is my movie I'm hoping to make a documentary, not a confusing thriller that places voices in my head!

But honestly, what you say is noted, and that's why I started this - I'm not sure. The only way I can be sure, I guess, is to buy it and make my own subjective opinion. But don't keep that from commenting folks!

I too would put the haldex controller further down the list, you will gain a lot more from suspension mods. Although haven't tested the competition controller myself

HPA Motorsports Inc. - Haldex Controllers

Interesting reading from that TT thread but still plenty of debate on it.

Very few are running uprated and very few would be able to demonstrate the difference.

I'm ready to be convinced and would do myself if it is determinable.

Hmmm, I'm starting to swing to doing the suspension first like you all recommend. Had some reads last night on how people find that arb's and B8's are so great. Seems to be no question about that really.

Do the suspension first! You may have more power sent to the back but you won't feel it as much as you'll feel the suspension upgrade. I have b8's and h&rs coupled with neuspeed arb's and tie arms and it does handle very well!