Just changed my VVT tensioner gasket.. Few questions.

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Evening all.
Just changed my VVT tensioner gasket to cure my oil dribbling across my gearbox.

I found the culpret, The half Moon piece wasnt there.. Literally a hole straight into the head!
Has a few twitchy **** moments... I had to turn the engine over (by hand) with pressure off the tensioner to get enough slack on the chain the lift the tensioner.
Lost the front dowl.. luckily i found it on the floor and not in the engine lol.

Anyhow, Whats the best Cleaning product to remove the oil from my box?. Or would i be better getting it "Pro" steam cleaned?

Also, whilst i had the top end stripped off i thought i would check my EGT sensor to see if thats causing my exhaust blow... It was.
Not even finger tight, just flopping around in the hole.

The car seems to go like a rocket now.. it wasnt sluggish before but wow.
Why would this alter the preformance so much?

Cheers
Callum

im due to change all that on the s3 myself so probably once i have done i might be able to answer it but no idea as of yet... concerning steam cleaning HELL no, did that to my prior a3 1.6 cause a heap of problems just get some degreaser and clean it off, take you airbox out should have plenty of room to be honest, use a sponge and a wet rag should do the job thats how i did mine....

after i replaced mine i used Bilthamber Surfex HD, i sprayed it on then agitated with a paint brush then had the hose on a trickle and stuck my finger over the end and sprayed it all off. let it dry a wee bit then ran the car for a while to heat it up and dry it all off. obviously keep the water and stuff away from any electrical connections :icon_thumright:
Bilthamber Surfex HD

its one of the best degreasers ive found

A mate of mine works at jaguar and he brings home the best de greaser going, its pink and smells like bubble gum. Shame i dont know the name of it lol well that was a pointless post :nearly1000

Ideal, so if i remove the airbox i should have enough room?
I tried squirting some brake cleaner down there when i did the job.. but it didnt do much as it pooled in the gearbox webs.

Any ideas on why it drives like its on rocket fuel since i tightened the EGT sensor?

yeah get the airbox out and you will have plenty of room.

also make sure the wee rubber plug is in its hole on the left near where the gearbox joins the engine because i never noticed mine was missing and im sure some ming went in the hole :-S turns out i found mine under the gear linkage mechanism on top of the gear box. pretty sure it can't have been doing anything good there

im afraid i have no idea why it would feel like a rocket since then. maybe its just happier and the weathers nice hehe

have a few rags and absorbent stuff around to soak up the water that does pool in the webs

Ideal!.
Just picked up a gallon of "gunk ultra degreaser" from Halfrauds.
Ill crack on with it tomorrow.