The best mod I've ever done!

Pricy

Reaction score
Still needs a bit of tidying up and need to order an iStreamer to get a crisper sound from the iPad but I thought I'd share the project so far.

f29f25ac.jpg

1315ac13.jpg

bdc53c05.jpg

Reactions: mungwah, k1ano, ~RS~ and 2 others
Love it tom. Ipad looks well cool there. :)

Very smart!!

I hope a full writeup is coming! ;)

Last edited:
That looks abslutely amazing! Well done, Lad. Love it, ..there's so much talent on this site. :wub: xx

Well I never......would never of thought an Ipad would of fitted in there. And all the extras aswell in your car.....bet bored stop the car and play some games, watch some films, watch TV etc etc. Well done that man. I take my hat off to you for having the nutz to do it.
:applaus:

ummm is this for real???? that's awesome!!

Tell me it's a photoshop job and I don't have to spend more money on this flamming car!!

looks really good. like it was from factory like that!

Holly SHEAT lol :) I would love to have one of these fitted in my car!
Really hope that you will do some write up mate-DIY ;)

I have a project going where im goin to fit a 24 inch iMac in the engine bay....

But holly seat this is cool. This is the second car I've seen with a mod like this, first car was a Nissan 350z where u could actually slot a psp in the dash etc an this is the second. As mention, there some scary talent on this forum....

I would paint the extension reel black for the full stealth look.
thinking of doing this in my van for a while now.
be good to read the OBD port for live car data and diagnostics.

u could actually slot a psp in the dash

Ilim, you cant really compare a PSP with an Ipad mate.........PSP is tiny compared to whats been done here......this is a stroke of genius. This man needs a statue erected in his name for the contribution towards car modding.....lol

I wonder IF any tablet would fit (ovbiously with the right wiring) as I have a Motorola Xoom that I dont really use......HHMMMM.

If anyone wants to do this mod I have a iPad 3 for sale, was bought as a gift for me less than 4 days ago, and only used for an hour, cost £400 with receipt, I want £350 pm me

Thanks for all the amazing comments guys. As I said above it still needs a bit of work to get it to sit in properly and I still need to get an iStreamer which combines charging (it can't be charged in the dash yet!!) with a digital to analog converter which will put out a lot better sound than from the standard aux that is in there at the moment.

The actual setup is really simple, behind the ipad is my old Audi Concert stereo so I could keep the genuine Audi bluetooth module and it also means I don't need an amp to run the speakers etc. The iPad for the time being is plugged into the "aux in" of the Concert. However when the iStreamer arrives that will go between the iPad and stereo.

I got the idea from the "SoundMan Car Audio" videos on youtube and this install is basically the same as the one they did in a Ford F150 here the new iPad 3 LTE gets down with Ford SYNC Car Dash, @SoundManCA, SoundMan Car Audio - YouTube

As for getting the iPad to fit I had to chop down the main double din stereo cage in the dash so that only the bottom section that houses the heater controls was remaining, then I used a dremmel on the inside of both sides of the dash and at the top just under the air vents to get the iPad to sit in properly.

I'll take some pictures when I take it all apart again and try to do a full write up!!

This does look fantastic well done :)

I was only thinking the other day with all the i-pod integration manufacturers are doing how long it would be before one of them integrates an i-pad dock into the dash to do what you have done, and display all the OBD stuff like the GTR's and scantools do - open up a new market for integrated 'car based' applications too ... It might also be that as an option, they supply a coded i-pad with the car so that you can take it out and use it and it could maybe also act as a security/immobiliser key etc. if that feature was activated by the owner.

Martin

Speaking of which if you download dashcommand from the Apple Store and get a bluetooth OBD ELM 327 interface you would have cockpit gauges the full monty :)

Some ideas (yours being a better install though) ...

IMG_4381.jpg

12cce_ipad_6945486659_3f4face279.jpg

IMG02471-L.jpg

Martin

I have a project going where im goin to fit a 24 inch iMac in the engine bay.... .

I know the sort of 'Macs' you like to fit in your engine bay, Ilim ..or is it Burger King, lol? :laugh: (yes folks, this was the engine bay of Ilim's last car). :wub: xx

SeptVXROMeet069.jpg

Reactions: Kelza and rOb_A
Very nice bro I seen one in a VW Golf a while back and couple in Range Rover sports too. You've done a good job.... Ur making me rethink getting appradio lol!

Come to think of it funnily enough he also had manual climate control :p hahaaa just messing with you. The install looks :wub: great!

in car tech is moving along nicely, i could have only wished for an ipad when i did my car pc install back in 2004
P6030003.jpg

P9230001s.jpg

Speaking of which if you download dashcommand from the Apple Store and get a bluetooth OBD ELM 327 interface you would have cockpit gauges the full monty :)

Some ideas (yours being a better install though) ...

IMG_4381.jpg

12cce_ipad_6945486659_3f4face279.jpg

IMG02471-L.jpg

Martin

This is one of the reasons I did the mod as well as obviously the music capabilities and the navigation. However I can't see me getting very interesting figures from the 1.9 diesel haha.

Very nice bro I seen one in a VW Golf a while back and couple in Range Rover sports too. You've done a good job.... Ur making me rethink getting appradio lol!
Come to think of it funnily enough he also had manual climate control :p hahaaa just messing with you. The install looks :wub: great!

Hahahaha!! If only the electronic climate control was an easy swap!!

That is very cool! Personally I wouldn't dream of putting an iPad in a car - I have to stash my iPhone away when I'm driving to avoid the temptation to mess with it, with an iPad in the dash I'd spend more time looking at that than I would the road!!

tempted by the iPhone and the Bluetooth version. Also read and reset fault codes. sounds ideal on the move.

Would this work if you have rnse, buy the obd plug, get the app and buy the multi media adapter for the rnse then you will have all this info on your rnse right?

Good man!!
Love it when something like this pops up, just when you think there are no more mods to see!

I will concider doing this down the line, think its a great idea.

That's genius! Reminds me of something "Mad Mike" from Pimp My Ride would do (I watched it when it was cool. It was cool right??).

You should download something like Zila for it - I got it on my iPhone when it was free for a period and it's quite good fun. Would be amazing on the iPad though :)

To all moderators, I am thinking maybe we should have a sticky for best forum member of the month for best mod, helpfulness etc etc.
And I think this months award should go to Pricey!! What a great and original mod, well done fella, you could possibly have started something here :)

Reactions: Paullie
A couple of things that would be a issue for me:

1. Sound quality "As there would be limited space to put a nice sounding head unit other then a Audi chorus"

2. No controls on the steering wheel for skipping next track or back.

3. Security risk

Other then that it looks great.

I wouldn't sell my App radio 2 any time soon thou... :sly: Until these factors are resolved.

"True say" I've been hearing rumours that Apple might get into the car head unit business. :sly:

A couple of things that would be a issue for me:

1. Sound quality "As there would be limited space to put a nice sounding head unit other then a Audi chorus"

2. No controls on the steering wheel for skipping next track or back.

3. Security risk

Other then that it looks great.

I wouldn't sell my App radio 2 any time soon thou... :sly: Until these factors are resolved.

"True say" I've been hearing rumours that Apple might get into the car head unit business. :sly:

Good points but I would imagine, as you can with i-pod, you could drive an amp easy enough and also use remote controls for i-Tunes, the I-pad 3 is voice activated too :) ... May even be some in-car I-pod controls already available which work with I-pad ...

Imho this is the basis for an incredible mod and fun research and ongoing features - the install looks brilliant ...

Martin