ABS/Brake pulsing?

fallmonk

Turbo Sport
Reaction score
Website
www.filshill.co.uk
Hi folks quick question ,
recently replaced all brake disks(inc exciter rings) n pads, plus a O/S/R caliper
brakes working fine and ABS light coming on and going off as ment to on start up

BUT as i come to a stop i get a slight pulse as if Abs not working ? it only does this as it basicly comes to a stop . every other time its fine ???????
any ideas folks ?

:iagree:

Like this

WP_000048.jpg

You may find it has just picked up rust flakes on the sensor, but I've had 3 go so far on my two cars.
You can find the rings to change I got one mine from ABS Reluctors (I think!) but it was expensive. The other two I fixed with oxy-acetylene and a jewellers torch.

WP_000063.jpg

To change one, you need to clean the driveshaft properly with a file, heat the ring to dull red and pop it on. It shrink fits. A duff welding job will now crack!!

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiA4B596
Its probably one of the abs sensors hasnt been put back all the way in, I had the exact same problem two weeks ago when i git new brakes put on, its a delicate job though, you need to locate and find the one or more inncorrectly inserted senors, they are right next to the brakes and its a job that is supposed to be done by hand once you have the wheel off, i fixed it myself so you shouldnt need to take it to a garage! Good luck, let me know how you get on!!!

Yeh its either a split reluctor (though i think you've indicated in your post that you've replaced those?) or a sensor isnt quite seated fully home.

if you can find someone with vagcom, you might be able to find the faulty wheel using its measuring blocks mode.

agreed with the measuring blocks/actual values, select each wheel and roll the car along at like 2-3mph. i bet ones reading 0 untill about 5 mph. sensor just needs pushing in fully home then pulling back ever so slightly.

these early systems, the air gap is adjustable and is pretty critical, the further away the sensor is from the abs ring the weaker the signal is.