abs brake issue?

olds_kool

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
got my new car to a point it should pass mot except for one problem abs seems to kick in too early

from medium braking at low speed abs kicks in just before it comes to a complete stop

all disks and pads are good, changed brake fluid for fresh dot 4, cleaned abs rings and sensors whilst it was all stripped

no fault codes logged on vagcom, all sensors are showing similiar speeds (meas. blocks channel 1)

tried removing fuse and it takes more effort (i think) to lock them up than for abs to kick in

anything else i can check with vagcom or am i missing something obvious? whilst typing ive just remembered ive not checked tyre pressures so will try that

also anyone who uses eezibleed take note of bit where it tells you to pressure test system before starting, i didnt and reservoir burst spraying new fluid everywhere, didnt notice hairline cracks at rear where sunlight gets to it, luckily i had a spare

i blew my resovoir to pieces too doing the same thing, i was being lazy though, and clipped it onto the osf wheel at 30psi :p

I would imagine one of your abs sensors is either dodgy, or not fitted correctly, or the reluctor is corroded, causing one of the signals to drop out before you come to a halt and causing the abs to think the wheel is locked up.

Try driving along very slowly and get someone to watch the reluctor outputs in vagcom and see if any starts to get erratic or low at the approximate speed it kicks in at?

Mine does exactly the same thing... it has done since I bought it.

Didn't do it all the time, but recently it's getting more and more frequent.

I'm assuming it's one of the ABS sensors that needs replacing. Just need to get my **** into gear and get it looked at.

pumped tyres up (2 at 16psi) 10 times better but still not perfect
booked in for mot tommorrow so will see what they say

Mine's booked in on Wednesday now to get it sorted. He reckons it could be the ABS ring that's corroded.

He's also going to check out my over-fueling/stalling problem... hopefully.

passed mot no brake issues
but did get advisory about dents in bodywork?

took it for a long test drive before putting it in and did a few 60-30 mph hard braking manuvers to clear rust from discs and bed in pads seemed to do the trick

top mot tester aswell, slight blow in exhaust that he stuck some putty on for me to pass

Mine had the ABS brake issue on the last MOT and it passed. Can't be a fail item then.

Still got mine going in to get it rectified on Wednesday though (and new stainless tailpipes on the Powerflow system on Saturday!)

Advise on dents?? Odd !

thats what i thought but ive never really put a car with dents in to be tested so must be normal? he also noted a middle door trim was missing, could understand if it was hanging off

anyway top result, £300 purchase about £70 on bits n bobs, got some coilies, some 17's to refurb, a boost gauge and a k+n panel off it,
a bit more tidying up and back on ebay it goes

mine does it also.
low speed close to stopped and it gives a bit of a jitter.
nightmare in snow!

no codes on VAGCom though

Yup.

No code must mean a mechanical part failed - i.e. ABS ring corroded.

Does that sound plausible?

olds_kool, did you resolve your fault? I have the same issue with my 1.8T, I'm going to clean the ABS rings at the weekend to see if that cures the fault.

it seemed to fix itself, while everything was stripped i'd cleaned sensors and used a wire brush on rings so guessing it was some crap somewhere that got in the way then cleared itself once i started driving it