S3 (8L Model), what are they like to own?

A19quattro

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying one of these, anyone got any advice? Would be interested in what MPG they do as alternatively I am probably going to go for another Diesel (got Mk4 Golf GT TDI just now), probably an 8P TDI Quattro. I would like to get something 4WD and not necessarliy £6k upwards, any advice/comments welcome.

If you are worried about economy a performance car isn't the way forward tbh,go for the dervs

Not so much worried as just checking out the options. I have had a few Dervs and probably know more about them mecahiically than petrols now but I think S3s are fairly economical and wiht the price of petrol being less nowodays the likelyhood or running one for not much more is looking more atractive again.

I get around 34mpg average with mine according to the DIS fuel computer :)

Martin

i get 25mpg on a 1999 a3 tqs thats driveing like a granny as well
Urban driving will give you that kind of economy,if your doing long drives with motorway then you may have an issue.

Realistically, 25mpg average for an S3, stretching to 30s on motorway runs.
^this

and they are horrible to own, a massive drain on your wallet.
its like being mugged weekly, except without the bruises, inless you do the work yourself, then you get bruises, and cuts, and find your self swearing alot and becoming really angry, and the neighbours thinking you're mental. but you get over all this when you drive it :racer:

Reactions: cjsuk, Nogmeister and Lavis89
Realistically, 25mpg average for an S3, stretching to 30s on motorway runs.

I'd say that is fairly accurate. Used to get that from my AMK S3, sometimes nearer 35 on mway runs. A pretty accurate way of working it out is to take your monthly diesel fuel bills... And times by 2 lol

Cuts and bruises, swearing and the neighbours, already there so no problem. Not that unhappy with the MPG figures to be honest, I thnk I need to drive one, unless ayone wants to try to put the driving experience into words?
Cheers for the replies :)

Cuts and bruises, swearing and the neighbours, already there so no problem. Not that unhappy with the MPG figures to be honest, I thnk I need to drive one, unless ayone wants to try to put the driving experience into words?

Capable but dull. With the age of them now, most would require a suspension rebuild, so you might as well just upgrade it whilst you are at it and make it handle! Power and performance by today's hot hatch standard is average, but nothing a remap can't sort. As with most modern Audi's, steering feel is non existent, but as an all rounder, it does most things well.

People just need to understand that even though they have come down in price, they are still a circa £25k+ car to run, so expect bills when things go wrong! Saying that, it shares a lot of components with the mk4 Golf, so if you are handy with a spanner, you can save a packet.

I bought one not really knowing what to expect, and I wasn't disappointed. Its not neck snapping power delivery (think mr2 turbo, Pulsar Gtir etc) it just kind of delivers you to a ****** quick pace in a very refined manner. Which, as it's an Audi, makes a lot of sense!

Grip in bucket loads, prestige badge, very very comfortable place to be. Glad I chose it over a Clio 182 cup.

Reactions: A19quattro
if you're going to buy one, look for one with some choice mods like suspension, map, exhaust etc.
i know its prob in your head to get an 'un-molested' example, i did this aswell, totally standard, and i've found myself spending thousands in the persuit of a beast.
dont be put off by modified examples is what im saying, at the end of the day they are likely to be enthusiast owned and probably taken care of better than a standard example, i know this is subjective but, if the history and condition is up there, then buying one with mods and you'l soon be thankful you did.

Reactions: A19quattro
Drive one, love it, buy one, mod it, love it some more, mod it some more and so the viscous circle starts ;)