HIDs Direct

Reaction score
Just ordered a 5000k 35w kit from HIDs Direct. Spoke to one of their customer service people on the phone and asked about the CANBUS (obviously) and the wiper motor problems experienced by some A3 owners. She said that is was only the A3 that was affedcted and the newer kits don't suffer from the problem anyway, so I ordered.

I very shortly afterwards recieved an e-mail response from my web query yesterday, stating that although it was primarily A3s affected, and that they new kits (as quoted from the manufacturer) were supposed to prevent other electrical components being damaged by the HIDs, they could not garauntee anything.

As I have already ordered the kit I just wondered if anyone had fitted this to an A4 and had, or not had, any problems? And before anyone starts kicking off about HID in reflector lenses, I have projector lenses etc ordered. I have searched and seem to remember previously seeing a post by Bez saying he'd never had any problems with HIDs in A4s, and all of my search results today came from A3 forums...

Kit ordered: H7 CANBUS TERMINATOR HID KIT SLIM 35W - HIDS DIRECT LTD Store

I have one of their kits fitted to my B7 and not had any errors on the dash. The kit has been on for about 7-8months now and not had any issues. I'm pretty sure I have this one:http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h7-canbus-pro-hid-conversion-35w-kit/If you ordered the H7R bulbs send them back because they wont fit. They have a plastic base and the B7 bulb holders need a metal base. I had my headlamps adjusted by a garage too so they dont glare.

Cheers for that, don't think I have ordered exactly the same kit, however the lady I spoke to on the phone did say the two kits I was trying to choose between (different product codes) we infact the same kit. Same schpiel underneath it too.

Did you do any re-routing of earth cables? And did your kit come with a relay circuit to activate them?

Just had a look at the picture of the kit you posted in your original post and the ballasts you have are slimmer than mine but you have those 2 extra black boxes

My kit didn't have any relays or anything, it just plugged into the existing dipped beam bulb connectors. I think my kit has the capacitors (to stop errors) built into the ballasts so I didn't have any extra wiring to mess with

Just had a look at the picture of the kit you posted in your original post and the ballasts you have are slimmer than mine but you have those 2 extra black boxes

My kit didn't have any relays or anything, it just plugged into the existing dipped beam bulb connectors. I think my kit has the capacitors (to stop errors) built into the ballasts so I didn't have any extra wiring to mess with

I found the 35 Watts a bit low on power output, the last HID upgrade i used the 50 watts and they were spot on :)
dont go to high with hz as the lighter/ bluer it gets the less it lights the road ;)

I found the 35 Watts a bit low on power output, the last HID upgrade i used the 50 watts and they were spot on :)
I actually found the opposite...my old 35w HID kit on my A4 B7 was perfect but when i upgraded to a 55w version, it was too bright (lights were correctly levelled) and i got flashed by just about every oncoming car/truck...very annoying when driving at night for 100 miles on the A9. In the end i saved up and got original OEM bi-xenons (with auto-levelling & AFS) fitted to my B7....no headlight washers though...cough cough cough :no:

the only time I got flashed by oncoming vehicles was when I was coming up a hill and I think this was due to the angle of the car rather than my headlamps glaring, no one has flashed their lights at me since. I'm running the 35w kit with 4300k bulbs, miles better light than the Osram nightbreakers I had before

never had a prob with there kits and fitted quite a few

Cheers guys. Good to know I can expect no problems with the kit.

Went for the 35w as I think this will be enough of an improvement, plus I've heard that the higher power kits can be more likely to cause problems.

Went for 5000k as it's supposed to be 'pure white' rather than the slightly yellow OEM 4300k. Going to instal then into FK projectors so will hopefully not dazzle anybody. No levellers or washers, but I'll align them correctly and keep my headlights clean!