k-04 turbo cracked!

DamoS3

Reaction score
Was getting the head gasket done on my late 01 S3 as it went. Bad enough as that was it did`nt do any harm lucky enough. With the head off i noticed a crack on the turbo mainfold and took it off for closer inspection. It was then i noticed there is at least 5 hair line cracks upto 8mm long in it. This then would explain the loss in performance. Going to have to get a new one then, but is this a common problem? My car is using an MTM remap, all samco houses, forge D.V, and cat back miltex exhaust plus i always let it cool down after driving.

I have seen a few cracked K03 jobbies.

Gambba on here killed his in a very impressive way and my K03s had a crack internally next to the wastegate before I replaced it.

Small turbos really do run hot when pushed to the max.

[ QUOTE ]

my K03s had a crack internally next to the wastegate before I replaced it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the same as mine on the 2nd Golf, ran fine but probably explains why it didnt produce as much power as maybe it ought.

Very common over time, especially considering the temps and conditions involved...

[ QUOTE ]

Gambba on here killed his in a very impressive way and my K03s had a crack internally next to the wastegate before I replaced it.

Small turbos really do run hot when pushed to the max.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just thought I'd look in on the old forums and what do I see, a reference to my antics.

The K03's and K04's run very very hot and will glow a nice bright red when pushed, and they need to have their cooldown period otherwise you will get cracking.

Me, I'm not one for this driving sedately for the last ten minutes of a drive and so that's why I ate a turbo.......but its costly so wouldn't recommend it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you're replacing your turbo its definately a good time to consider an upgrade (Maybe a direct fit bigger turbo) and having the MTM map played with to suit.

Hey buddy, hows it going? Not seen you on here in waht must be years!

Rich

sorry to be a novice but whats the ko3 turbo is that the smaller one on the 1.8T and the Ko4 the one on the S3??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Do you know I too was just wondering where Drill, Gambba, MarkR, AndyBs3 had all gone to. Oh and Daniel, I'd guess your antics are charted in far more places than Audi Forums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif