OEM Fuel Pump

Sam_

Down under
Reaction score
I've been getting knocking/pinking every now and then and I'm not really sure what's causing it. Nothing has changed engine/map wise and it's been a recent thing. As we all know the OEM fuel pumps are getting on a bit and seem to be getting tired. I've got an SPA fuel pressure/boost gauge to fit (as I also wondered if it could be a boost spike, liquid shows 22psi but I think that's it's limit?) but I've not got around to fitting it yet. Since I'm going BT before too long, I figured it might be worth replacing the OEM pump? I'll be running an IE 044 Surge Tank as well.

Is the TT Quattro pump the same? I've seen this for a good price...
oem Siemens/VDO Electric Fuel Pump Audi TT Quattro 1999 to 2002 | eBay

If the OE pump is producing FPR pressure + boost still then it could be argued its ok to leave it... but... have seen quite a few failed pumps recently which suggests they are getting close to the end of service life so considering what you are doing mod wise to your car then its a good idea to at least consider replacing it...

<tuffty/>

It will only usually pink/knock if I slowly work up the revs and then go WOT suddenly. Almost seems like the pump can't keep up. It's done around 80k miles as far as I'm aware.

To be honest, I let off instantly and I usually have my eyes on the road.

Is there something I can log in VCDS? I need to get a better cable first though as the eBay cable I have just ends up with a load of errors. I'll just get the cheaper KII-USB.

To be honest, I let off instantly and I usually have my eyes on the road.

Is there something I can log in VCDS? I need to get a better cable first though as the eBay cable I have just ends up with a load of errors. I'll just get the cheaper KII-USB.

block 031 (afr), 002 (injector ontime), 001 (lambda control)

If the pump is failing I would expect afr to be ok (as long as its not totally ******** else actual will be progressively leaner than request) and lambda control will be progressing into higher positive numbers...

The best test tbh is a fuel pressure gauge..

<tuffty/>

OK cool maybe I should pull my finger out and fit the SPA gauge over the easter weekend then. I tried searching, is there a grommit I can use on the drivers side? Most seem to mention the passenger side.

Is the HEX-USB+CAN Interface really worth it over the KII-USB Interface ? Or is just if you want to use it on newer cars?

I have a KII USB interface which is fine as I won't be selling off my S3 any time soon but if I were doing it again I would prob buy the HEX-CAN lead as I can at least help others with newer cars... if you have no mates with newer VAGs you feel like helping then the KII will do... you can always upgrade to the hex-can lead later if you need to

<tuffty/>

I went for the HEX-CAN purely for resale value later. They only seem to ship with Fedex so it was $70 odd to get here and you save money doing the decent upgrade first time round. It seems like way better quality than the eBay cable and no errors.

Going to log those blocks on the way home tonight and report back.

if you are Hearing pinking, log 020 Timing corrections.... and check your throttle body pipe for oil coming out of the throttle body (malfuncting pcv breather system syndrome)

Hey Bill, cool I'll measure that in the morning but I posted before and sometimes see 8 or 9 pull. Seems to be mixed across cylinders. I'm wondering if it's a boost spike? I am running a catch can and simplified PCV setup so the TB should be dry as a bone. It's not using oil either.

Here's the logs for 001,002,031:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cbm1l81hcib08c/LOG-01-001-002-031.CSV

Sorry it's a little long, it was a bit hard to find a spot to stop/start the logging. To me it looks a little rich if anything on boost? It didn't knock/pink on any of the runs today but the ambient was way lower than it has been. This is something that's come from no where. I've not changed any parts, the only thing that's changed is time and the temp.

The pump's not noisy or anything.

pull off the pipe to thr throttle body and see if oil is running out of the throttle.. If it is, that would explain the high CF

pull off the pipe to thr throttle body and see if oil is running out of the throttle.. If it is, that would explain the high CF

Will do. I checked before when it first started getting pull (or I'd noticed it) and it was dry as a bone. I'll take another look.

Yeah the log is basically most of the route home. I'll try and grab the WOT pull part out.

Here's the best bit of WOT (was from ~3k) action I could safely manage:

Screen%20Shot%202013-04-05%20at%2012.20.33%20AM.png

It usually hits 224/225 g/s.

I'll log 020 tomorrow. Anything else I should log with it?