Epc light

Jonesymk2

Reaction score
Got in my car (apy s3) this afternoon when I finished work and started it up it started ok as usual then the epc light came on,it was hunting through the revs then dropped down to tickover, I turned it off again the restarted it and it did the same but then when it was ticking over it started running really lumpy and wouldn't rev at all,

I put the diagnostic computer we've got at work on the car and it showed up a few codes to do with the throttle, I erased them but still didn't make any difference and the codes were back again,I erased them and 2 codes stayed, I can't remember one but the other was internal control module, would this be to do with the throttle pedal sensor or the throttle body sensor,

I washed the car at lunch and it was running fine when I turned the car off at the end of lunch and that was 3 hours before I finished work,any ideas at all please

Last edited by a moderator:
Post up the codes...

You can research them a tad using the link to Ross Tech's Wiki in the stickies... post the codes and the descriptions up here though when you have them

<tuffty/>

Will plug the computer in the car tomorrow morning then post the codes up when I get them,was thinking it might have been a bit of water got in somewhere so will have to see in the morning

Washed the car.

Water ingress through the scuttle panel is a possibility. Allow the vehicle to dry over night, check again in the morning.

Plugged the car into the diagnostic computer again this morning and these are the codes that were there 16496-15031-6,17795-p1387,17796-p1388,17953-p1545,I erased the codes but one was left as a static code but said not displayed and that was 17953-p1545,I've disconnected the battery now and will leave it for half hour and then reconnect see if it makes any difference

17953/P1545/005445 - Throttle Valve Controller: Malfunction
Possible Symptoms
Increased Idle Speed
Bucking at Load Change
Possible Causes
Throttle Body dirty
Throttle Body Wiring faulty
Throttle Body faulty
Possible Solutions
Clean Throttle Body
Check Throttle Body Wiring
Check Throttle Body
Special Notes
Use Meas. Blocks & Basic Setting for testing
When found in the NAR 2.0l TFSI: (BPY, CCTA and CBFA) check TSB 01-09-04 or 2018652 for a wiring repair at the Throttle Body.
See Throttle Body Alignment (TBA)

i had a 17952 and it was throttle body angle. Clean the TB and also clean the connectors. You might of got some water on it somehow so clean it and reconnect it.

Got in my car (apy s3) this afternoon when I finished work and started it up it started ok as usual then the epc light came on,it was hunting through the revs then dropped down to tickover, I turned it off again the restarted it and it did the same but then when it was ticking over it started running really lumpy and wouldn't rev at all,

I put the diagnostic computer we've got at work on the car and it showed up a few codes to do with the throttle, I erased them but still didn't make any difference and the codes were back again,I erased them and 2 codes stayed, I can't remember one but the other was internal control module, would this be to do with the throttle pedal sensor or the throttle body sensor,

I washed the car at lunch and it was running fine when I turned the car off at the end of lunch and that was 3 hours before I finished work,any ideas at all please

Had the exact same problem with my car about a year ago. I removed the Throttle Body, took it apart, cleaned it, reassembled and re aligned using VAG-COM. Errors gone and no trouble since. Hope this helps.

Well I got this sorted yesterday,I got some tools together and went to the car on my tea break to take the throttle body off,I started the car to move it a little so I could get round the front,it started up fine and was ticking over and revving up normal,took it for a quick run to the shop then when I came out it started running crap again,turned it off then turned the ignition on and off a few times and then started it and was fine again,checked it again on my lunch break and was fine then the epc light came on again a couple times while it was ticking over then went off again,got the car into the workshop quickly after work and was running fine again,I took the throttle body off and cleaned it up and lunricated it a bit and then put it all back together again,also noticed my scuttle trim doesn't clip in properly at the bottom of the screen so I put a bag over the plugs on the ecu,took the car for a decent run last night and all seems fine and also seems to have lost a flat spot it had at about 5000 revs

Happy days! Keep your electrics out of harm!

Im having same problem I cleaned the TB and whilst doing it I dropped it :/ the wire on the loom was snapped so got it fixed re adjusted without vagcom but with a snap on, put diagnostics on and found a code saying g75 maf high signal so changed the maf to must admit not a oem one was alot worse.epc light came on when boosting and cut throttle no drive, put old back on boosts strong but has a airleak on TB where gasket is, car isnt as rough at idle however it does pop on deceleration never used too before, also revs stick now then go down any ideas??